New Here

Options
Hello,

I need to lose around 200lbs, which seems insane and intimidating. I've never been skinny, that I can remember. However, in the last ten years, after having a child, I've from from around 200lbs, active and happy to 330. Honestly, when I think about it, I see what happened but it just seems surreal to me. I've never tried to lose weight. Ever. There were times when I did lose weight, but it was just because I had started playing a new sport or something similar. I've never been on a diet. Obviously, I'm not happy at 330lbs. I'm actually pretty miserable. So, for the first time in my life, I'm taking an active role in my health and weight. The problem is that I'm not really sure where to start or what on earth I'm doing. I started light exercise but, it's been so hard. So much harder than I'd like to admit. I was softball player and power lifter. I ran 2 miles two or three times a week and did weight training at least 3 times a week. I didn't realize how out of shape I really am. But, that's enough whining about it. I'm not here for that--I'm here for help and support to get back into shape. :-)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    You can do this if you commit! I am down 94 lbs. in my journey and being connected to other has been one of the motivators to keep going. My wife is down over 60 so far. We started by walking 3 miles a day and tracking calories. As the pounds came off, activity and exercise increased.

I'd love to offer encouragement and tips. The end goal can seem so far away but together, we can all succeed! Feel free to add me and message me any time!
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 65 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in? If so, send me a buddy request!
  • brianlsummers
    brianlsummers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am down about 75 pounds in just a little over a year. As the other reply mentioned, working on the food part is would probably be the best place to start then start working in the physical activity. Just a thought, maybe you should set some more short term goals like say lose 50 pounds so that the 200 lb goal doesn't seem so insurmountable. I'm no expert, I've got where I am through a lot of hard work. Feel free to add me, I am active on the site just about every day and will offer support to anyone who wants to add me. Good luck on your lifestyle transformation, it is a lifestyle change and just not about the weight loss.
  • AshleyArleneNP
    AshleyArleneNP Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and Congrats for making the first steps in your weight loss journey. I have 100 lbs to lose and I agree, it is intimidating. Its all about small gradual changes. You are trying to make lifestyle changes, not just diet. I would start by logging everything and seeing where you week spots are. As far as exercise, make a goal to walk for 30 minutes, most days of the week. As you met your goals, set new ones.
    Feel free to add me. The more friends the merrier. I am active daily.
  • Kimmy7777
    Kimmy7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    Feel free to add me for motivational support - I post regularly!
  • Cardio_Cutie
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I have motivational friends and I give a bunch of advice and motivation back to them :D
    Im trying to lose 80 pounds and so far MFP has helped me lose 8 pounds, I just started about 20 days ago C: