Exercising in the morning vs. at night!

Options
Okay so I've heard that it's better to work out in the morning, but I've also heard that it's better to work out at night. Like if you do it one or the other you supposedly burn more calories. Which do you guys think it is?

Replies

• lalouli
    lalouli Posts: 41
    Options
    I think in the morning because you get it done and don't have to plan around it later, but I have no idea about the calorie thing. Good luck!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it-and if doing it in the morning works better, then do it then. I cannot do mornings before work, I like to sleep. Also, when I work out in the morning, I am hungry all day and eat more because I think I earned it. I work out after work and before dinner, usually. Some studies show you burn more fat working out on an empty stomach but if you don't feel good doing that, then I would say pick a time that suits you best so you stick with it.
  • endurowoman
    endurowoman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but logically calories burned are calories burned. Exercising in the morning does jump start your metabolism though and sets the tone for the day, it gets your blood circulating and gives you more energy. Exercising moderately in the evening helps sleep along and keeps you out of the refrigerator on those long dark winter nights. I used to leave work at 6 completely dusted wondering how will I ride 13 miles home. But once I started riding my bike and upon arriving home I had energy for hours and was able to enjoy time away from work. It got so bad I was able to stop at the pool and workout as well on the way home. So I recommend both morning and evening, it doesn't hurt to get out in the middle of the day to wake up the bloodstream. People that move alot end up healthier and thinner in life. Good luck on your goal.
  • Tabs_A
    Tabs_A Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've read that once you exercise you rev up your metabolism, so if you exercise in the morning, it gets your metabolism up for the day. So I guess the same thing goes if you exercise in the evening, but I'm not sure if sleeping later (depending on when you work out) will slow the metabolism back down. I work evenings (3-11pm) so I'm lucky to be able to get up, eat breakfast then work out. But...exercise at any time is good, so long as you get your heart rate going! Good luck and just do it when you can!
  • djnelson1024
    Options
    I would agree with both of them a calorie is a calorie no matter night or day, my brother and I have been running at night before bed for two to three miles and I can say that I have lost seven pounds in a week using this site and working out at night I wake up in the morn completely refreshed and not tired at all ready to take on the day and ur body burns off calories at night as you sleep it moves never ending cycle and exercise before bed doesnt make u hungry when ur done and in te morning the bowl of cereal or whatever does the trick I noticed I take way less calories throughout the day if i worked out the night before. but that is just me feel free to check out my diary and such if ud like good luck
  • lordofultima
    Options
    If you work out on an empty stomach in the morning, you have no calories to burn and thus will burn fat. But you'll also feel like crap and have no energy, so the correct answer is: whenever you can. The important part is that you exercise, not when it is.
  • SarahxNicole
    SarahxNicole Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Funny I was just talking to the guy at the gym about this. He said to do your cardio in the am to boost your heart rate and give you energy and to do weights at nite and it will help you sleep
  • InsanlyIrene
    Options
    For me it's morning for sure, first of all it gets your metabolism started and it will get a real kick start, second you'll feel even more energized for the rest of the day once you've get your body moving bright and early! I've worked out at night because I couldn't otherwise with my schedule but it's just not the same for me.

So I prefer the morning :smile: