CARBONATED DRINKS

Options
If you are trying to loose weight.....these drinks expand your stomach. My dietician at the Bariatric Clinic I attend told me this. When she said this, I stopped all colas or any kind of carbonated drink. If you think about it, it makes a lot sense. The fizz causes the gases to expand in your belly....hence that belch when you drink it...

They tell those that are having any kind of bariatric surgery, not to drink sodas because it will lead to expansion of the stomach and you are paddling backwards....Interesting.

Kathy:glasses:

Replies

• mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    i definitely believe that, I have years of drinking soda, more specifically Pepsi, & Dr. Pepper. maybe that's why everytime I lose weight my belly never looked the part. I have now given up soda 2wks now & I can definitely see the difference in my belly size. Thanks for the info. Now I see why it was so hard for me to get that 6pack of abs I want.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    That's bull. It's the carbonated drinks with the sugar and empty carbohydrates that "fill out your belly." club soda with lime, or a diet pepsi is perfectly permissible as a beverage, and I've been losing pounds of fat and inches in my midsection, for close to a year, all while drinking 2 bottles of diet pepsi every day.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    The truth is out there somewhere, but I've cut out all fizzy drinks and have lost a lot of weight. That's not a causal link, just an observation.

Of course, the OP was talking about bloating not weight, but I'm sceptical about the gasses being the main cause... as completely flat beer has a similar effect :-)
  • PuppyBandit
    Options
    I'm a recent lap bander and we were told no carbinated beverages. But I never saw they blamed being overweight on it. They said, and my research mostly agreed that when you have the smaller stomach, the fizz, over a period of time "may" cause pouch expansion. There are many fellow banders that drink diet colas and many who don't. It's a big debate. Once my surgery is all healed, I will probabably have an occasional diet dr. pepper, but not very often. I have a friend with lap band who lets her cola sit with ice while she eats, then it is slightly flat when she drinks. In my opinion, the fizz is the best part lol.