YoYo'ing the last 10lbs

Options
I feel like I have been putting on and taking off the same last 10 pounds. I am on round 2 of T25. I didn't loose much the first time but I do love the workouts. I purchased Gamma this time as well. I am just trying to figure out how to get these last 10 pounds off. I see some people eat more to loose more, I don't understand that… maybe someone could explain that to me. I also felt like I was doing mostly cardio, so I am trying to incorporate more weights with my dvds. I workout at home, so whatever I do has to me done from home. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get back into logging my food. I was really bad at that for awhile. Thanks for any tips :)

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    in for good suggestions. in the same boat..
  • dezwark
    dezwark Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Another question I would love to know… am I supposed to eat back my workout calories if I am trying to loose weight…. I have seen a lot of different things on this… what are your thoughts?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get back into logging my food. I was really bad at that for awhile.

This is the problem. You're eating more than you think.
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Not sure how helpful I will be but I am down to my last 7.5 pounds and I've lost the last 10 before that by setting my calories to lose 1/2 pound a week. I'm eating at my TDEE -15% which puts me at about a 250 calorie deficit a day. I've just started Beta for T25 and incorporate a few days of running with that. So far so good. And yes, you are supposed to eat your exercise calories if you are using the myfitness pal way...if you are doing TDEE then it is already included.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yes, with the MFP method you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories, because the calorie goal that MFP gives you is *already* at a deficit relative to the number of calories you need to maintain weight. When you exercise, you earn more calories to eat in lovely lovely food. Just be careful you are as accurate as possible in estimating your calories burned, and the calories you are eating.
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get back into logging my food. I was really bad at that for awhile.

This is the problem. You're eating more than you think.
    [/quote

+1 When you are down to the last 10 you have to know how much your eating. There is not much leeway when you're working with something like a 250 cal deficit. Start tracking and weighing ASAP!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am down to my last pound...yup 1 left.

I haven't done anything differently.

I weight my solids, measure my liquids, log everything I eat as accurately as I can and I haven't had any issues.

As a matter of fact I am currently upping my calories to maintenance which has increased by about 200 calories since I started.

This week I am on 1800 calories...where a month ago I was eating 1600. I am still losing weight.

I do heavy lifting 3x a week (and have been for 7 months) and in the new year I added in HIIT 2x a week and now that summer is coming I now walk a couple miles a day or will be going for bike rides as soon as I get it to the shop for it's summer work (greasing etc).

ETA: I will continue to do this for maintenance as well...
  • dezwark
    Options
    Thank you so much.. this is all helping… I love to get outside when it's nice. I live in Kansas so it has been windy, dusty, and cold haha. I will keep working on the food. That is the hardest part for me to keep track of.

Feel free to send me friend requests. I need all the help i can get. again thank you for all your input.
  • amynoelhall1
    amynoelhall1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's so true that in order to lose the last few lbs you really have to log carefully. There just isn't a lot of room left for error. I have about 3 lbs left before I hit my goal, and it's been the toughest part for me to get through these last 5 lbs. I'm trying to focus hard and get through it in the nest 13 days. :)
  • albayin
    Options
    I was wondering if everybody's "last 10 pounds“ is equal...I am in the mid of BMI chart but wanted to lose 10 pounds to reach to the lower side of the chart...but I have not been able to ...
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you're at a healthy BMI, maybe you should worry more about measurements than weight? To lose that last 10 lbs are you going to have to sacrifice muscle, and are you willing to do that? :) I'm on my last 10 lbs as well, and this is something I worry about a bit. Though when I hit goal, I may decide I had more to lose, since I still have some flappy parts. :P
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    If you're at a healthy BMI, maybe you should worry more about measurements than weight? To lose that last 10 lbs are you going to have to sacrifice muscle, and are you willing to do that? :) I'm on my last 10 lbs as well, and this is something I worry about a bit. Though when I hit goal, I may decide I had more to lose, since I still have some flappy parts. :P

yah no...why do we have to sacrifice muscle?

I doubt I've lost more than 3lbs of muscle over the last year based on my BF%...

"flappy parts" are because resistence training wasn't done and you didn't get in enough protien.

BMI is one of the worst measurments to use...
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if everybody's "last 10 pounds“ is equal...I am in the mid of BMI chart but wanted to lose 10 pounds to reach to the lower side of the chart...but I have not been able to ...

I'd say everybody's last 10 lbs is inherently different. The term "last X pounds" is suggestive at best, and typically used to refer to being that # of lbs away from a goal we've set for ourselves. With all the guides and charts that are out there to "help" us determine where we "should" be, I think its safe to say there's no ONE right weight for a person.

I've tired to guestimate how many lbs I will have to shed to get the look I'm after. I've now decided that my body changes the way it wants to so I'm not gonna put emphasis on the last whatevernumberofpounds and see what the scale says when I get there. :wink:.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am just trying to figure out how to get these last 10 pounds off.

You're not alone. As you can see from other posts on this thread, losing the last ten pounds is a very common problem. But it shouldn't be.

Forget what people tell you about logging. Sloppy logging is not the problem. Tight tolerances on calorie deficits is not the problem. "Stubborn fat" is not the problem.

Think about it. Have you ever wondered why almost everybody seems to have a problem losing the last ten pounds, yet everybody's idea of an ideal weight is different? Have you ever wondered why someone trying to squeak into the normal range with a BMI of 24.9 is having just as much trouble losing the last ten pounds as the person who is targeting a BMI of 18.1?

The answer to everyone's problem is simple. Go to your MFP goal settings and change your target weight to ten pounds below where you want it to be. You will soon lose ten more pounds. You'll never lose "the last" ten pounds, but it won't matter. You didn't want to lose them anyway.
  • albayin
    Options

I want to run faster. I have fair amount of muscle but not enough to make me look smaller...I still have jiggling fat every where...
  • dezwark
    Options

You're not alone. As you can see from other posts on this thread, losing the last ten pounds is a very common problem. But it shouldn't be.

Forget what people tell you about logging. Sloppy logging is not the problem. Tight tolerances on calorie deficits is not the problem. "Stubborn fat" is not the problem.

Think about it. Have you ever wondered why almost everybody seems to have a problem losing the last ten pounds, yet everybody's idea of an ideal weight is different? Have you ever wondered why someone trying to squeak into the normal range with a BMI of 24.9 is having just as much trouble losing the last ten pounds as the person who is targeting a BMI of 18.1?

The answer to everyone's problem is simple. Go to your MFP goal settings and change your target weight to ten pounds below where you want it to be. You will soon lose ten more pounds. You'll never lose "the last" ten pounds, but it won't matter. You didn't want to lose them anyway.

What exactly does this do? I did this and my calories and everything has stayed the same.
  • dezwark
    Options

I am worried about measurements as well. I am struggling in the core. I have 4 kids and that is why I am trying to log better. It seems to be hard for me to tighten the core no matter what I seem to do.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options

yah no...why do we have to sacrifice muscle?

I doubt I've lost more than 3lbs of muscle over the last year based on my BF%...

"flappy parts" are because resistence training wasn't done and you didn't get in enough protien.

BMI is one of the worst measurments to use...

I wasn't suggesting we actually needed to sacrifice muscle. I was attempting to ask if OP might already be fit and not need to lose pounds - apparently not very clearly. :)

And LOL! My flappy parts aren't due to a lack of resistance training - they're due to the fact that I still have too much fat on my bones. :flowerforyou: While my ticker says I only have 10 pounds to goal, that's probably not actually the case.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I don't agree with this at all.

I am at my last pound. When I hit 155 I will move to maintenance and continue lifting etc.

My goal is not scale weight...my goal is BF% at my lowest 20%...highest 22%...I will attain that too.

Scale weight is one measurment albeit a crappy one as is BMI ...my current BMI is 24.4..goal weight puts me at 24.3 so right on the border of overweight...I wear a size 5...I am not even close to being over weight anymore.

The last 10 pounds shouldn't be any harder than the middle 10 pounds, it may take longer...if you change to a smaller deficet but it shouldn't be harder...and if it is harder it's because of lack luster logging, not paying attention etc.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Patience is the most important thing you need. Just keep going (at a measured moderate calorie deficit - meaning measure and log food with a .5 pound deficit) and you will get there. I suggest .5 because it puts you closer to maintenance than a higher deficit and you will soon need to learn to eat at maintenance.

As far as eating back exercise calories, it depends on how you got to your deficit. If you use MFP then yes. You should eat at least some (50-75%) of them back, but only if you are weighing your food and logging intake accurately AND if you are using an HRM for measuring aerobic burns.

Patience and consistency = results. Good luck!