Cardio questions

Options
Hi there,

I recently joined this site and am looking for some basic information. I just started going to the gym on Saturday, and have been using the elliptical for cardio. I usually stay on the machine for 30-45 minutes, I work up a good sweat and burn a lot of calories. Will this machine be sufficient to lose my first 10-20 pounds? I actually quite enjoy it. Is it okay to just do cardio until I lose some fat?

Here is background information: I am 25, Female, 195 lbs, and 5'6. My main goal is to be 130 pounds, I think that would decent for my height. Thank you!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit means weight loss-

all the cardio in the world won't make a difference if you are out-eating your burns.

Elliptical is fine if that's what you like

I'd include strength training as well-
    strong lifts
    starting strength
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves
  • Rain203
    Rain203 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have been counting calories too, cant our exercise a bad diet lol!

I feel lost when it comes to lifting...Can I do the cardio on the elliptical then maybe do some arm curls or something or should the weight lifting be compound movements?? :S
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I feel lost when it comes to lifting...Can I do the cardio on the elliptical then maybe do some arm curls or something or should the weight lifting be compound movements?? :S

The compound movements will work most, if not all, of your body. That's why they're called compound. I do them to cut down on my time spent working out. I just don't have time to work out every individual muscle, and usually, your typical beginner doesn't want to take the time. I'd recommend compound movements because those lifts are more bang for your buck, so to speak.

Beginner programs like Stronglifts or NWOLFW are your friend here.
  • Rain203
    Options
    ok, how many times a week should I do weights and how many cardio?? sorry im a noob :P. Also, what type of compound movements, I have subluxation of my right shoulder so I need to watch my shoulder mind you it hasn't happened since I had my son I think the subluxation was mainly to the hormone relaxin in pregnancy lol. Still a little traumatized from my shoulder popping out all the time :S I guess I am just saying I am scared of butterfly movements like for chest.
  • inthedistrict
    inthedistrict Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You can try doing simple arm movements with weights and combined with lunges or squats. This is a great way to burn more calories by combining large and small muscle movements. One for abs as well is to combine reverse crunches with arm rolls using weights while lying on your back. You don't even have to go to the gym for this. Combine with some cards to warm up first like jumping jacks and jump rope. You'll get a great workout.:smile:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You can try doing simple arm movements with weights and combined with lunges or squats. This is a great way to burn more calories by combining large and small muscle movements. One for abs as well is to combine reverse crunches with arm rolls using weights while lying on your back. You don't even have to go to the gym for this. Combine with some cards to warm up first like jumping jacks and jump rope. You'll get a great workout.:smile:

This is good, and I would start out with bodyweight exercises if I were you. Do strength and cardio whenever you want. There's no rule to what you need to do more. Just do what you enjoy.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    you don't have to do the weights if you don't care about muscle.

but it will help you hang onto the muscle you have and thats going to burn up more calories at rest, so it would excelerate you fat loss somewhat
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options

The Plank Workouts below will help you build strength and endurance.

Plank Workouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzaUmLaTjI (6.5 Minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mV-c3u2KAQ (7 Minutes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNN9a5pU2A (10 Minutes)
  • Rain203
    Options
    Okay, thanks everyone
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition