A good running shoe?

Options
I've been trying my ability in running lately. My goal is to do some sort of marathon by next spring. I'm starting to really enjoy hitting the pavement (and treadmill during ugly weather) but it's still a little comfortable in my knees. I'm thinking a change in sneaker could help. Nike Shox has got my attention, but I was told they really aren't that comfy. I hear Asics has good reviews.

Opinions?

Replies

• sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees and I used to get shin splints and heel pain. I use Vibram 5 fingers and I've not had any of those problems. They are something you have to work in to though.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Go to a good running store and they will fit you for shoes. The store I go to will bring out several pairs and let you try them. They have a treadmill in the store and they let you go out in front of the store and try running. Last time I tried on 6 different pairs to find out I still liked the same kind. The shoes I like would not work for you and whatever you pick I am pretty sure wouldn't work for me. Trying them on is the only way to tell. Enjoy your training.:smile:
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    We (my family) are big fans of New Balance. I have 2 pair, one for walking and one for running. and they arent cheap, but not expensive either.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with New Balance. But I recently bought a pari of the ZigTech line of Reebok and they are awesome. Like walking/running on air. I mainly got them due to my knees and the high impact of one of the P90X workouts and I have not had a problem since and in fact my knees have never felt better.

http://www.reebok.com/US/product?modelId=30039373&articleId=J19540
  • pineappleroo
    pineappleroo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my asics gels. Been running in that brand for 3 years now. They fit my feet perfectly.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Brooks Glycerin 8 that I absolutely love. I walked a half marathon and my feet weren't sore but my back was :smile:
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you can find Brooks locally... try them... I think that they make some of the best running shoes. They have shoes for all different types of feet. and running styles.
  • SCHLIC01
    Options
    IM USUALLY AN ASICS GIRL BUT I JUST BOUGHT RYKAS. THE ONES KELLY RIPA HAS GOT HER NAME ON. REALLY GOOD ON MY KNEES. THEY SAY THEY ARE MADE WITH A WOMANS BODY IN MIND. HOWEVER THERE MADE THEY WERE PRETTY COMFY ON MY RUN.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I agree, Basics. If you have a running room in your area, head there. they are a little spndy, but have great shoes and will help you purchase a shoe that is right for you, your running style, height, weight, etc. LOVE mine!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I too have started running and was worried about knees/ankles and pronation etc.

I went to a Nike shop and they have a system for checking your tread and other things and come up with a recommendation. I'm really happy with the running shoes I ended up buying.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Go to a good running store and they will fit you for shoes. The store I go to will bring out several pairs and let you try them. They have a treadmill in the store and they let you go out in front of the store and try running. Last time I tried on 6 different pairs to find out I still liked the same kind. The shoes I like would not work for you and whatever you pick I am pretty sure wouldn't work for me. Trying them on is the only way to tell. Enjoy your training.:smile:

I agree 100% I have tried several kinds and they all hurt my feet so I went to a running store and they had me walk on the treadmill and would show me how my feet land etc and then brought out about 6 pairs of different kinds of shoes and found the pair that fits my feet and needs. That is the only way to go!!!

Mary
  • richmondhillgal
    Options
    Definitely go to a shoe store and let them fit you. We have a store here geared to that. Not like the mall stores. Good fit is so important. I have been using nike but also rebok, new balance and ascics. So far the nike is the best for me but I may go try that zig pulse. I need a really light shoe. Good luck!
  • mlally1014
    mlally1014 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used to wear New Balance and never really thought too much about it. Then I got my first pair of Asics (gel nimbus). It was like running on a cloud. A little pricey but a fantastic shoe. I am on my 3rd pair and don't even look at another shoe or brand!
  • pbfd533
    Options
    i love my asics nimbus 12s. its like my feet are on a pillow the whole time i have them on. my wife has a pair of saucony that she just got that she also loves.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You really have to get fitted. Everyone's feet are different and what works for someone else may not work for you - high arches and overpronation, etc. will lead to different shoe needs.

Go to a specialty running store (not a sporting goods store) and get fitted. You'll end up paying $100 every 2 months (or so) but it'll make a huge difference when you start really logging your miles in terms of injuries, pain and blisters! Runner's World has a running store locator on their website if you don't know where the closest one to you is :)

Good luck!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Oh and I LOVE my Mizuno Wave Inspire 6s, but after 7 months (and 3 pairs) I can tell I need a different pair. If they tell you that you overpronate and Wave Inspires are presented as an option, get them!!
  • nicolepope11
    Options
    You can actually google running shoe reviews. I tend to run on the outside of my feet (I have high arches) and I have bad knees too. I just bought the Asics Gel Nimbus 11 and LOVE them. I got them on sale right as the Gel Nimbus 12 were coming out. I would check them out. I also tried on the Nike Air Max and they were pretty comfortable, but they didn't have my size. If you are really going to pursue running, you might want to consider going to a running specialty store to have them test you. They'll watch you run and help you pick out the best shoes for you. As for knee pain, ice and ibuprofen right after. After you build up the muscles in your legs more, your knees won't hurt as bad :)
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Oh and I LOVE my Mizuno Wave Inspire 6s, but after 7 months (and 3 pairs) I can tell I need a different pair. If they tell you that you overpronate and Wave Inspires are presented as an option, get them!!

These are what I just bought and love them!!!!!
  • ladyashley81
    ladyashley81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Best advice I got about running: Go to a running store - a store that specializes in all that funky running apparel and have them fit you. First of all, I didn't know this, but apparently your running/athletic shoes need to be a size larger than your normal shoes - sometimes more! It is to allow for toe space while running. Anyway, these stores that specialize in running will watch you walk, put you on a machine, fit you properly and let you try gobs of shoes before purchasing. It's pricey, but absolutely worth it. Also, you have to replace your shoes every 3-6 months depending on how many miles you run. And, when you go, take your old shoes with you and they will look at the tread wear on the bottom to see how you wear down a shoe. I'm telling you, it's a fine art and those runners do it up right. All my best friends are avid runners and sometimes I dabble in it with them, but I absolutely take their advice about proper gear and such.