Newbie Confused with Calorie intake... MFP says 1200

Options
Help, I am new to this and trying to lose weight. I am on Plexus Slim while it has helped me not crave sweets I don't see results. I am eating 1200 calories now only because MFP said so. I have been for a week and now I have gained 3 lbs.. I am not trying to starve I know I have to eat to lose weight. I am just lost and confused. I am 4'11" weighing 175lbs. I am not eating sweets or hardly carbs. I am always constipated (yes gross sorry) I try to exercise daily but have not done much. I drink at least 8 glasses of water day. I was losing weight slowly but surely at first and now after my 13 lb lost in almost two months I gained three in a week after starting the 1200 calorie a day. Please help in any way. Tips on what to eat, exercise etc. :ohwell:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    did you set your weekly weight loss goal to 2lbs a week? if so change it to 1lb.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Do you mind opening up your diary so we can have a peek? And yeah, try lowering your rate-goal to one pound. Your body might not be ready for that kind of drastic change.
  • annar298
    annar298 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I changed it and it only went 1260 a day.
  • annar298
    Options
    I did, I didn't know it was private.
  • nineteentwenty
    Options
    Interesting. Well, the easiest way to eat more is to do more cardio. More out, more in, right? How much exercise per week did you enter in your settings?
  • nineteentwenty
    Options
    (For example, I earn about 300 more calories a day when I go to the gym)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I changed it and it only went 1260 a day.

So the only other thing would be your activity...are you truely sedentary? or lightly active? esp with Children...I am not sure if any mother is ever truely sedentary...

The other side of this is that you can "earn" calories by exercise...it doesn't have to be cardio it can be any exercise you are purposefully doing for fitness such as walking, weight lifting, circut training etc....

As well for your intake I would suggest getting a food scale you will be surprised at what a portion truely is...you could be cheating yourself out of some extra food or under estimating on others.

weight solids measure liquids.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Interesting. Well, the easiest way to eat more is to do more cardio. More out, more in, right? How much exercise per week did you enter in your settings?

that doesn't affect the calories "activity level" does.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eat more fiber if you are constipated. You might have gained weight because your body is adjusting to your new calorie deficit. When your body doesn't get the calories its used to it will slow your metabolism and hold onto fat. It's a survival mechanism. It could also be water but I think it's just your body holding onto fat. This should pass soon. Our bodies like consistency so when it's not getting what it's used to it reacts and once it's used to 1200 calories a day it will start pushing fat out. Keep up with the 8 cups of water a day too. That also helps.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Eat more fiber if you are constipated. You might have gained weight because your body is adjusting to your new calorie deficit. When your body doesn't get the calories its used to it will slow your metabolism and hold onto fat. It's a survival mechanism. It could also be water but I think it's just your body holding onto fat. This should pass soon. Our bodies like consistency so when it's not getting what it's used to it reacts and once it's used to 1200 calories a day it will start pushing fat out. Keep up with the 8 cups of water a day too. That also helps.

A body takes a long time for adaptive thermogenics to take efffect...and it's not holding onto fat...it's when your metabolism slows down but you will still lose weight and it wont happen on 1200 calories a day...
  • annar298
    Options
    I will change it to Light exercise. I will increase daily fiber and exercise. Thank you. I just felt like I was reversing in all the wrong ways.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    When I first started I was given 1380 calories...I am 5 ft 7 and was 178lbs...I thought I would starve...I didn't. I ate lots of lean protien and exercised to earn my "treats".

It worked out that I was eating about 1600 calories a day normally...

I didn't exercise a tonne either...usually 30 day shred which was 28mins or I would go for a nice walk or do Wii just dance...sometimes I would walk extra fast or extra long for ice cream...:drinker:
  • annar298
    Options
    Wow awesome. I will definitely keep that in mind. I am not starving or really ever hungry. I just didn't know if it were my lack of exercise or change in diet... I will try more cardio for sure and sneak in a treat I suppose. lol.