needing zucchini recipes

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
Hi everyone....I love zucchini but the only way I know how to make them is fried or in mixed veggies and sauteed in olive oil. So I am looking for some new recipes that can included other veggies or by it's self. I really want to find some low cal and low sodium recipes. Thanks

Replies

• shimmerngspirit
    shimmerngspirit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Take your zuchinni, cut length wise.

Remove the seeds in the center to make a zuchinni boat.

fill with fresh tomatoes and cover with some reduced fat mozarella and some oregano.

Bake in oven at 375 until cheese is melty and nice.

Mmmmm mmmm good!
  • tanyagottschalk
    tanyagottschalk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take shredded zuchinni and mix with cooked penne noodles chopped up chicken breast and tomatoes. You can add squash, mushrooms and a little bit of cheese too if you want. It is a good meal and filling.
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    Take your zuchinni, cut length wise.

Remove the seeds in the center to make a zuchinni boat.

fill with fresh tomatoes and cover with some reduced fat mozarella and some oregano.

Bake in oven at 375 until cheese is melty and nice.

Mmmmm mmmm good!

That sounds wonderful and perfect for my SB diet. Thanks!!!
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    Stuff it lengthwise with a seasoned ground turkey mixture with tomato sauce and cheese then bake. You can also bake shredded zucchini in a ramekin with eggbeaters, cheese, chopped onion and breadcrumbs like a mini casserole. Or simply slow roast it in garlic and olive oil in the oven until brown around the edges. YUM YUMMY, enjoy!
  • spetersen
    Options
    I really love steaming my zuchinni. You can buy a steamer for pretty cheap and steam all veggies and meat. Very healthy and can be seasoned with anything you'd like. (as long as it's low calorie) :)
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Zucchini pancakes...kind of like a savory potato pancake. I think the recipe is from Taste of Home if you can search online. Using whole wheat flour instead of white....
  • sanrog
    sanrog Posts: 68
    Options
    I slice my zucchini into rounds - spray with a little Pam spray and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake in oven until just a little browned - yum yum.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Grated zucchini is a great addition to any cold dish, really. Great salads or pancakes or anything similar.

One of my favourite meals growing up and for always was a zucchini "pie" dish - We used Pillsbury Crecsent Rolls as the crust (they have multigrain and low-fat now), just stretch them out into a pie dish and spread some regular mustard over the entire surface (trust me - this is amazing). Saute lots of zucchini (2 good sized) with sliced onions and garlic. In a separate bowl mix 2 eggs with dried oregano and basil, add some low-fat cheese if you please. Once the zucchini/onion mixture is soft, take off the heat, mix in the egg/cheese mixture to coat, and then toss it all in the pie shell. Bake at 375 until the egg is set and the top is browned (35-45 mins). We usually cover the crust with foil for the first 20 minutes to achieve a golden brown crust.

Haven't made this in a while so I have no idea how many calories this is but if you serve one slice with a side salad it can't be that bad - and kids likely won't hate it, since it's got eggs and cheese and a delicious sweet crust!
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/skillet-parmesan-zucchini-112444.aspx

This is so good you could cut calories by using a fat free cheese but even so its still only 120 per serving. I also added cut up chicken to mine and baby spinach to make mine a meal. SO GOOD!!!!! I have a pic of it on my phone I wish I could figure out how to upload it on here.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am just starting to try to lose a little weight, but wanted to share my sight with you. I make a lot of recipe susbstitions to try to keep things healthy, and also try to incorporate as many fruits and veggies, lean meats, and healthy fibers as I can!

Please check it out!

http://www.momvsfood.blogspot.com/

PS there is an AWESOME recipe for zucchini squares !
  • crosedonahue
    crosedonahue Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Go to cookinglight.com and search "zucchini rice casserole." It's really good!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend recently made lasagna using zucchini sliced lengthwise instead of pasta and his homemade spaghetti sauce. It was fabulous.

I'm going to try the zucchini boat it sounds delish.

Karen
  • bethanygl23
    bethanygl23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Low Cal Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
    3 eggs worth of egg beaters (3/4 cup)
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 cup splenda or other no calorie sweetener
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    2 cups grated zucchini/carrot mixture
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup chocolate chips
    1/4 cup wheat germ or oatmeal

Directions

1.In a large bowl, combine eggs, apples sauce, sugar & splenda, zucchini, and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour, baking powder, soda, salt, wheat germ/oatmeal, and cinnamon; stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into bread pan.
    2.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Makes 12 Servings (one loaf)

Per Serving: 171 Calories; 3g Fat; 2g Sat. Fat; 5g Protein; 34g Carbs; 231mg Sodium
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    This is great- you can use eggbeaters for the eggs, heart healthy bisquick and fat free cheese to make it even healthier!

http://momvsfood.blogspot.com/2010/10/zucchini-squares.html
  • rpbellis
    rpbellis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this one yet, but really want to. http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/09/lemon-herb-zucchini-fettuccine.html
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Hi Mrsbuzz, I posted a recipe the other day that had Zucchini in it. Here's the link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/128389-slow-cooker-polenta-vegetable-ragout