Arm Going Numb While Running

Options
2»

Replies

• wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Physical/Sports therapists are going to be a better choice for getting this diagnosed. Some chiropractors, as well, but there are a lot of shady chiros out there.

I'm none of those things, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Since you're feeling it in only your three outer fingers, that seems to indicate an impingement is occurring in the ulnar nerve. One would think that if the source were close to the spine, other major nerves (radial) would be affected in that same arm.

My numb hand issues stem from tight shoulder muscle/fascial tissue constricting around the nerve bundles, specifically when my shoulders are hunched. Some things that have helped have been to perform shoulder mobility drills, deep tissue massage the trapezius, latissimus dorsi, as well as your scalenes. Since I'm cheap, I usually foam roll (or use a barbell) to work the kinks out of those areas.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    This could sound silly, but the same thing happens to me when I have my arms bent at the elbow for too long - if I sleep that way or if I sit at my desk and type for a long period of time without a break. It takes a little while to go away, even after I shake them out. Do you run with your arms tightly bent at the elbow?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This could sound silly, but the same thing happens to me when I have my arms bent at the elbow for too long - if I sleep that way or if I sit at my desk and type for a long period of time without a break. It takes a little while to go away, even after I shake them out. Do you run with your arms tightly bent at the elbow?

Likely: http://www.wosm.com/index.php/component/content/article/116-ulnar-neuritis-cubital-tunnel-syndrome

Incredibly common, and easy to fix if it's truly problematic.
  • graham713
    graham713 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It might be just bad posture. I'm not carrying anything and my chest strap is on pretty loosely. I may need to get someone to watch me run and tell me if I'm doing it wrong. I have seen the doctor about it and he put me through a stress test to rule out heart issues. Everything seemed fine, so he just left it at that and said if it really bothers me, stop running. If this is fixable I'd rather continue though. It feels great otherwise.

How do you find out if it's a nerve issue? That sounds like it would be more permanent. This only happens when I run.

It sounds like Thoracic Outlet Syndrome which is a compression of the brachial plexus. The brachial plexus is a network of nerves outside of the spinal cord, just under the clavicle. It can be compressed by tight muscles or poor posture, among other things. A common symptom of TOS is numbness and/or tingling of the 4th and 5th fingers from ulnar nerve compression.
    I am a PT and frequently see this in people with poor posture i.e. rounded shoulders, forward head.
    You need to be seen by a doctor or PT to confirm diagnosis but if its TOS it is easily treatable.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Watch this video it might help you out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUy7plm004M
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Your ulnar nerve provides sensation to those three fingers on the palm side of your hand. If it is purely just those three fingers feeling numb/tingling then it is most likely due to something impinging on the nerve. It could be up in your elbow or somewhere along your forearm or wrist. Try stretching your triceps and forearm muscles early on in the run and see if that helps.