Working out but gained?

Options
Hello!
I'm 174 cm, 18 years old and i weighed 74 kilo starting this. Then i lost 5 kilos, which means i was 69 kilo - but then i didnt weigh myself for 3-4 months and yesterday i weighed myself and i was up at 75 kilos!! I was so close to rip my hair off!! (Haha jokes, but I got really angry!)
The fact is, i run 5 km every other day and i ride the bike for work everyday which is 9 km everyday. I eat really healthy and i've been doing it for so long. I do some strength training as well, i lift 2 kilos, just for fun and i squat, etc. But nothing hard, just to maintain muscles. But WHY did i gain 5 kilos?? I'm confused. Perhaps its because i went for Paris for 4 days, without running in 4 days? But i walked ALL day, very far and stuff. My family tells me that it's muscles, but i refuse to weigh 75 kilos even though it's muscles. I'm not particularly fat, but I'd like to drop those love handles on my side. Is it even possible for me to lose weigh now? Those 5 kilos made me extremely sad and furious but i REFUSE to give up. Should I keep running and biking etc?
My goal is to be 65 kilos. Can it be possible for me to weigh that, with muscles and a low fat percent? And how can i lose fat without losing muscles but still be at 65 kilos?
Sorry for the many questions, I'm very confused and need help! :-)
Thanks.

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So you want people to guess why you gained 5 Kilos in 3-4 months?

Could be as simple as a combination of the following: the last time you weighed in you were a little dehydrated/food in the system, most recent you had more water/food in your system.

Or maybe you just ate more calories than you burned over the 3-4 months.

I would stick to a good plan for a week and weigh in again making sure you do so in the morning possibly before eating/drinking anything.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight isn't necessarily a good gauge of health. If you've been working out that much, you may have gained muscle. Are you clothes fitting better? This can be a better gauge of fitness. Maybe take measurements. You may have traded fat for awesome muscles. :flowerforyou:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a few minutes to organise your thoughts and then ask some specific questions?

All the random listing of exercises doesn't mean anything if you ate at a calorie surplus. And as you haven't been logging your food....
  • Snapshotgirl
    Snapshotgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I bike every day and eat about 1400 calories a day and can't knock off the weight. Drives me nuts. I think it's muscle. I hope so. I do feel stronger.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure people would be able to give you an actual answer. Way to many variables.

Exactly this. 3-4 months is a huge time frame to determine why you gained about 1.5 kilo (roughly 3 lbs for us crazy Americans) a month. If you were not logging your food over this time, no matter how healthy you ate, if you were eating more calories than you were burning, you would gain weight.

Consider this a lesson that if you want to reach your goal of 65 kilo, you are going to need to be more consistent with tracking your weight, food, and exercise. Just letting things happen without oversight apparently doesn't work for you.

Also, at 18, you are very likely still developing some and your body may be adding weight onto the areas that still need to fill out a little.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I saw water weight. I think your body retains water atleast mine does when I lift weights
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Weight isn't necessarily a good gauge of health. If you've been working out that much, you may have gained muscle. Are you clothes fitting better? This can be a better gauge of fitness. Maybe take measurements. You may have traded fat for awesome muscles. :flowerforyou:
    No sorry. Highly unlikely. Especially not by accident.

^^^This, especially when the only real weight training mentioned includes 4lb weights.

EDIT: Op has only logged twice in the past month. OP, I believe you need to get your logging back on track. You're probably eating more than you think.