Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Advice on when is best to eat please :)

Having gone from not eating breakfast, lunch or anything really in the daytime then a big dinner at night and a sedentary lifestyle now I am working out daily and trying to eat better and healthier. I have many questions and I've read so much conflicting info that I'm bloody confusing myself.
I am eating either cereal and milk or a shake with greek yoghurt, kale, various fruits, and flax seed and/or milk, varying between those ingredients. Should I be eating before or after working out for breakfast for 30 mins cardio based workouts? Also I workout mid morning then later at night around the kids sleep schedule usually between 10pm-12ish should I be eating after that workout like another shake or something? I head to bed about an hour after the workout. I'm drinking water before during ( sometimes) and after).

I aim start doing more strength exercises too but have only whatever I can find at home to do that. I do squats push ups etc but want to tone more and having read and read and read some more weights are the best way right? Lift the kids (which they find hilariously funny, they're about 35-40lbs), gallons of milk etc. So should I invest in a protein powder because of that. I'm on a very tight budget and most of my protein comes from meat which is expensive so I wonder if I would be better off investing in the protein powder as a source of protein especially once I start doing more strength based workouts. One day I aim to get some weights for at home but for now that's just not doable.

Absolute beginner so if I'm doing it wrong please tell me. I am wanting to lose weight but tone as well, the right way not the fastest way. Thanks!

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    If you are asking if there is a better time to eat calories, then I would answer generally no. A calorie is a calorie, and the timing isnt a big deal.

If you are asking the timing to eat to better your workouts and recover, then I will leave that up to someone else.

If you are on a limited budget I would cut out the shake as they are usually not teh cheapest.
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    Eat a reasonable amount of calories, throughout the day as you choose, and exercise regularly. Timing doesn't necessarily come into play. You know your body, when are you hungriest? Don't skip meals, but allocate your calories as you choose.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Food you can enjoy,In a quantity that is sustainable in the long term.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    For the average person, meal timing is not relevent enough to worry about. I worded that way because for higher end athletes, there is some benefit to meal timing, however, for us average people looking to get fit and lose some weight, it isn't really. Getting the proper calorie intake/nutrition over the course of the day is far more important. Eat when and how it works for you, not when you think you should.
  • If you are asking the timing to eat to better your workouts and recover, then I will leave that up to someone else.

If you are on a limited budget I would cut out the shake as they are usually not teh cheapest.

Mostly asking about the recovery/better workouts.

Shakes are ones I make myself using kale and frozen fruits or whatever. They work best for me because I have to force myself to eat breakfasts after like 20 yrs not eating any meals in the daytime and am just generally not feeling hungry.

I asked because I keep reading you should eat after working out but then many say don't cos then you're just burning that food not burning fat. I don't really wanna eat after that night time workout either but I can drink the shake easily enough. To keep up with the calorie intake though I can fit in the shake and still be in deficit.