strength training and MFP

Options
i've been getting started with lifting pretty recently, but this site doesnt really count that towards anything so i find it kind of pointless to log it here (other than keeping a record of progress). i've looked at the FAQ so i know why it doesnt impact daily totals.

but my question is, should i be focusing more on certain things? specifically my diet. or should i keep working at it, but just act as if i hadnt done it at all (meaning still ONLY consume my 1,300 calorie limit)? im trying to lose weight, so i know i should still be in a deficit but are there any extra steps i might be missing or am i good?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you search strength training in the cardio section you will get a calorie value for it.
    The number MFP gives is pretty low, but it is very hard to estimate calories burned with strength training due to the numerous variables that can come into play.
    For me it was about 200 for an hour. I was happy with that, it was enough to give me a few extra calories to eat, but not so high that if it was off it would impact my weight loss.
    Personally, I do think you should eat some extra calories for strength training, however, I also would err on the side of caution and go with lower numbers. Strength training doesn't tend to burn a ton, particularly when compared to cardio.
  • reala728
    reala728 Posts: 31
    Options
    yeah that makes total sense... i actually walk to the gym and jog back so i'll probably just tack on 10 min of walking or something to allow that extra bit of calories without being too significant.