are cravings real? or, ultimately, an excuse to eat...

Options
I ask myself this frequently. i will eat a modest lunch and immediately after i feel hungry...and not just hungry...hungry for something specific. the last couple of days it has been junior mints. the craving was so strong, that the first store i stopped at was out--so i went to another store. i questioned myself for about 20-30 minutes before "giving in." i asked myself if i was thirsty. no. i had been drinking tea and water all morning. did i just need more food (veggies/protein). no. that did not appeal to me at all. I stuck to just a serving of candy. what are cravings? are they real? they obviously feel real...but maybe it is all emotional.

Replies

• geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ever been pregnant? Yes they're real. Doesn't mean you have to give in to them all the time. Sometimes they're more like a passing fancy. But when they stick with you for hours/days it's time to have a few Junior Mints (or salt & vinegar chips, or a burger, or whatever).
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've been craving gummy bears something fierce for the past few days. Kinda random.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    When I upped my activity level I also upped my calorie intake, but it was not nearly enough and I would eat a meal and then be ravenous within an hour. Most times, what I had with me would be satisfying, but there are times where I have to have one thing in particular. I make sure that I have room in my plan for it and make adjustments if necessary. Then I eat what I want without worry. Eventually (like in 3 days) I got the clue that the calories were not enough and I increased even more to support the added activity. This helped prevent the really bad cravings and ravenous feeling after eating.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've been craving gummy bears something fierce for the past few days. Kinda random.

yeah, what is funny is that while i don't dislike junior mints...i certainly don't place them at the top of the candy hierachy. anyway...i do feel more satiated after eating them. go for the gummy bears! in moderation...

@ geckospot...yes, i have been pregnant. the hilarious thing is that i craved....ice. yes, just ice. normally i don't even care for ice in my beverage. but when i was pregnant all i wanted to do is chomp down on cups full of ice (the good kind that comes out in little hallow squares form the soda ice machine).
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I definitely think they're real, though they can occur for various reasons. The body could be low on a specific nutrient and that's why you're craving a specific food. There is a theory out there that so much of the US diet has turned towards nutrient-shallow food (think food with a lot of added sugar, sodium, usually highly processed, etc.), that the body craves more of it to meet its nutrient goals. Unfortunately, that also comes a lot of added/empty calories, and the eventual weight gain the excess calories cause. I can't say for sure that's what has actually happened, but it seems like a very plausible theory. So, when you're eating a balanced diet of nutrient-dense food choices, your cravings subside a lot because you're getting all the nutrients the body needs.

However, things like sugar and sugar/fat combinations can have an addictive-like quality for many people. The fast food industry and processed foods industry has done a lot of research on combinations that maximize the pleasure response in the brain so that people "crave" the pleasure these foods create. Plus, evolutionarily, sweet foods were generally safe to eat, so humans likely have a high affinity for them naturally (sugar just wasn't so easy to come by in the quantities it is currently consumed in a few hundred years aga -- the US and UK are consuming a LOT more sugar now than they were 300 years ago). It's not mere coincidence that many dieters struggle with sweets in particular.

Then, there is the whole psychological aspect of eating. Some cope with difficult emotions by feeding them -- depression, anxiety, etc. Or due to familial/home patterns (clean your plate, eating/cooking to please someone else, etc.)

The situation with sweet in particular can be exacerbated for purely physiological issues if you have a carb sensitivity issue. Over 40% of US adults have either diabetes or prediabetes (insulin resistance), so controlling carbs and carb cravings can be even more difficult for these people. If you read up on how insulin resistance works, this makes a lot of sense.

So, depending on what you're craving, there could be good reasons for it (i.e. need more nutrients in your diet) or there could be less than awesome reasons for it (withdrawal from sugar or certain foods, psychological reasons, carb sensitivity issue, etc.).

If find that it's much more helpful to really dig into the underlying reasons for a particular craving rather than rely on "will power" so you can get to the underlying issue. If you can address the underlying issue, a lot of your cravings may reduce or dissipate altogether.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I know PMS cravings for me is about as pregnancy cravings were. They seemed to get worse after I had my tubes cut, tied and burned. However I'm still learning to fight through. I don't deprive myself, I'll allow myself to have a nibble of what I'm craving and remind myself that 1 bite taste the same as the last bite. During my monthly, I crave Jalapeno's, chocolate, and peanut butter. (Not all together) but I'm not a pizza fan but yet during this tom, I'll crave it so I can load the jalapeno's on it lol. I also Crave Jalapeno cheese bread from Little caesars lol. However I refuse to buy it so I am not tempted. I will go buy stuff to make my clean version of pizza and fix that craving. It's not greasy and a lot more healthier for you.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know PMS cravings for me is about as pregnancy cravings were. They seemed to get worse after I had my tubes cut, tied and burned. However I'm still learning to fight through. I don't deprive myself, I'll allow myself to have a nibble of what I'm craving and remind myself that 1 bite taste the same as the last bite. During my monthly, I crave Jalapeno's, chocolate, and peanut butter. (Not all together) but I'm not a pizza fan but yet during this tom, I'll crave it so I can load the jalapeno's on it lol. I also Crave Jalapeno cheese bread from Little caesars lol. However I refuse to buy it so I am not tempted. I will go buy stuff to make my clean version of pizza and fix that craving. It's not greasy and a lot more healthier for you.

This^
    TOM pretty much means I am off my diet, at least for when I get cravings. I try to stick to healthy stuff on the non-craving meals, but I have just resigned myself to the fact that I will eat random food during TOM.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    I definitely think they're real, though they can occur for various reasons. The body could be low on a specific nutrient and that's why you're craving a specific food. There is a theory out there that so much of the US diet has turned towards nutrient-shallow food (think food with a lot of added sugar, sodium, usually highly processed, etc.), that the body craves more of it to meet its nutrient goals. Unfortunately, that also comes a lot of added/empty calories, and the eventual weight gain the excess calories cause. I can't say for sure that's what has actually happened, but it seems like a very plausible theory. So, when you're eating a balanced diet of nutrient-dense food choices, your cravings subside a lot because you're getting all the nutrients the body needs.

However, things like sugar and sugar/fat combinations can have an addictive-like quality for many people. The fast food industry and processed foods industry has done a lot of research on combinations that maximize the pleasure response in the brain so that people "crave" the pleasure these foods create. Plus, evolutionarily, sweet foods were generally safe to eat, so humans likely have a high affinity for them naturally (sugar just wasn't so easy to come by in the quantities it is currently consumed in a few hundred years aga -- the US and UK are consuming a LOT more sugar now than they were 300 years ago). It's not mere coincidence that many dieters struggle with sweets in particular.

Then, there is the whole psychological aspect of eating. Some cope with difficult emotions by feeding them -- depression, anxiety, etc. Or due to familial/home patterns (clean your plate, eating/cooking to please someone else, etc.)

The situation with sweet in particular can be exacerbated for purely physiological issues if you have a carb sensitivity issue. Over 40% of US adults have either diabetes or prediabetes (insulin resistance), so controlling carbs and carb cravings can be even more difficult for these people. If you read up on how insulin resistance works, this makes a lot of sense.

So, depending on what you're craving, there could be good reasons for it (i.e. need more nutrients in your diet) or there could be less than awesome reasons for it (withdrawal from sugar or certain foods, psychological reasons, carb sensitivity issue, etc.).

If find that it's much more helpful to really dig into the underlying reasons for a particular craving rather than rely on "will power" so you can get to the underlying issue. If you can address the underlying issue, a lot of your cravings may reduce or dissipate altogether.

good information. i have been reading a lot about how the FDA is thinking about taking away the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) designation for foods that contain partially-hygrogenated vegetable oils. There are so many foods in our diet today that our grandparents would never had seen as children. It does give you pause.

Fortunately, i do operate on the premise of less is more in terms of ingredients. even my candy choices--i try to avoid certain ingredients and dyes. (I am an absolute hyprocrite when it comes to sugarless gum, however). I think my craving today was pure hunger. why it manifested itself in chocolate covered peppermint patties? who knows. i just try to remain cognizant of my cravings, consider them and relate them to my daily intake, do not overindulge...and enjoy. :)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

good information. i have been reading a lot about how the FDA is thinking about taking away the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) designation for foods that contain partially-hygrogenated vegetable oils. There are so many foods in our diet today that our grandparents would never had seen as children. It does give you pause.

Fortunately, i do operate on the premise of less is more in terms of ingredients. even my candy choices--i try to avoid certain ingredients and dyes. (I am an absolute hyprocrite when it comes to sugarless gum, however). I think my craving today was pure hunger. why it manifested itself in chocolate covered peppermint patties? who knows. i just try to remain cognizant of my cravings, consider them and relate them to my daily intake, do not overindulge...and enjoy. :)

And perhaps that was all your body was craving -- pure calories.
  • budobo
    budobo Posts: 38
    Options
    Really good responses here. Usually I skip walls of text but it was very thoroughly and thoughfully written. :)

I've noticed that my cravings for junk food go away if I ignore them for a short time. I also have far fewer cravings if I am mentally very busy (either doing something entertaining or just something difficult).

I've also noticed that when I give in to a craving after holding it back a while (when it comes back) it is SO MUCH MORE SATISFYING to eat/drink it.

I used to eat because I was bored and because I wasn't full. I'm starting to learn that eating when you're hungry is much more satisfying, and I will fill up faster (I'm guessing my stomach capacity is shrinking)
    . If you can address the underlying issue, a lot of your cravings may reduce or dissipate altogether.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    Really good responses here. Usually I skip walls of text but it was very thoroughly and thoughfully written. :)

I've noticed that my cravings for junk food go away if I ignore them for a short time. I also have far fewer cravings if I am mentally very busy (either doing something entertaining or just something difficult).

I've also noticed that when I give in to a craving after holding it back a while (when it comes back) it is SO MUCH MORE SATISFYING to eat/drink it.

I used to eat because I was bored and because I wasn't full. I'm starting to learn that eating when you're hungry is much more satisfying, and I will fill up faster (I'm guessing my stomach capacity is shrinking)
    . If you can address the underlying issue, a lot of your cravings may reduce or dissipate altogether.

you definitely make a good point about keeping busy. when my days are busier...i don't have time to give cravings much thought...i eat my planned lunch and move on...pretty soon the day is over.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I know I have cravings all the time and they are very real. I think people don't understand that people oftentimes mistake cravings for hunger. Hunger is when you phyical feel like you need to eat (stomach growling, mouth watering...) I have a carb up night every night and because I'm a stress eater i opted to do it another night. I ate that second night and none of the food satisfied me. Even now I have cravings but I try to tell myself I'm setting myself back a day or two or a week if I go way off my diet.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I crave cigarettes, so not all cravings are food. The craving is real, the caving is choice. Stand strong!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Real.

However, after my protein increase, I find it hard to fit all my calories, so have to stuff myself with random items throughout the day just to meet my daily calories.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Real.

However, after my protein increase, I find it hard to fit all my calories, so have to stuff myself with random items throughout the day just to meet my daily calories.

Excellent post and I so agree! Increasing protein made my random food cravings go away so much that I now have to find random food to fit my calorie goal. Best advice ever is to increase your protein intake to over 1 gram of your lean body mass. For most women that number is 100, for most men that number is 160. Your number may vary.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused here... You seem to be suggesting that if the craving is emotional in nature, it's not "real". That seems odd to me. Did you feel it? Then yes it's real. I'm thinking what you may really be asking is are there nutritional reasons why we crave particular foods, or are all cravings just emotional. If so, the answer is both. Many times your body will trigger cravings for nutritional reasons (i.e. something's lacking in your diet, but your mind can and does interpret those signals poorly and you respond by craving something that does not make logical sense from a nutritional perspective. Alternately, you may just crave a particular food strictly becasue you interpret it as meeting an emotional need.

I guess what I'm saying is that cravings are ALL neurochemical reactions in your body. They can be triggered by any number of internal and/or external stimuli and trying to pigeonhole them into "emotional" or "real" is way too simplistic.
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    I'm a little confused here... You seem to be suggesting that if the craving is emotional in nature, it's not "real". That seems odd to me. Did you feel it? Then yes it's real. I'm thinking what you may really be asking is are there nutritional reasons why we crave particular foods, or are all cravings just emotional. If so, the answer is both. Many times your body will trigger cravings for nutritional reasons (i.e. something's lacking in your diet, but your mind can and does interpret those signals poorly and you respond by craving something that does not make logical sense from a nutritional perspective. Alternately, you may just crave a particular food strictly becasue you interpret it as meeting an emotional need.

I guess what I'm saying is that cravings are ALL neurochemical reactions in your body. They can be triggered by any number of internal and/or external stimuli and trying to pigeonhole them into "emotional" or "real" is way too simplistic.

yes, i was trying to delineate a physical "need" (for lack of a better term) that prompts a desire for a certain food versus an emotional need to have that same food. i realize both concepts are rooted in brain chemistry. I guess I think of the former as more primitive and the latter as more experience/memory based. I am inclined to give the physical need for a food more value than my emotional desire for food (which, with discipline, can be reigned in).
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I definitely think they're real. I've recently been trying to remove added sugars from my diet, so I've done things like real oatmeal vs instant, plain greek yogurt vs flavored, water/milk instead of juice/soda, having slightly more veggies than fruit, etc.

What have I been craving? Chocolate. Which is weird, because I was never too much of a chocolate junkie. Before February, I could buy a bag of fun size chocolates and it would last for MONTHS. Now, I'd be lucky if they lasted two weeks!
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    What have I been craving? Chocolate. Which is weird, because I was never too much of a chocolate junkie. Before February, I could buy a bag of fun size chocolates and it would last for MONTHS. Now, I'd be lucky if they lasted two weeks!

lol...two weeks? that is pretty good! I cannot buy more than a serving at a time. too tempting.
  • brandnewneek
    brandnewneek Posts: 31 Member
    Options

yeah, what is funny is that while i don't dislike junior mints...i certainly don't place them at the top of the candy hierachy. anyway...i do feel more satiated after eating them. go for the gummy bears! in moderation...

@ geckospot...yes, i have been pregnant. the hilarious thing is that i craved....ice. yes, just ice. normally i don't even care for ice in my beverage. but when i was pregnant all i wanted to do is chomp down on cups full of ice (the good kind that comes out in little hallow squares form the soda ice machine).

This was so me! I would go to the gas station multiple times a day and fill up cups of ice. The workers at the gas station even stopped charging me the 25cents because they thought it was funny