How much protein should I eat?

Options
Everything I read says I should eat more than what MFP gives me. On most days I exercise a lot, and my muscles ache. People tell me I need protein, and I know I need iron. It seems like when I eat more protein I lose weight easier. Opinions please. How much protein, and how much is to much?

Replies

• lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've just started to see a dietician and for me she suggests at least 80 grams of protein a day, but said that the more protein I eat and less sugar the better. But again, that may just be in my case :) Hope this helps!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    THIS is about creating a healthy lifestyle... creating a balanced sustainable diet... becoming aware of what is good for you.. now and forever... so... maintain your macros within the context of your weightloss goal and caloric intake... add a supplement if you are building muscle...
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    There isn't too much. Well, there is, but you could not physically be able to ate that much to harm your body. It's way above 100, 200 or even 300g. So don't worry about it. How much you should ate tho depends from your goals. To stay generally healthy and lose weight MFP recommendations are enough. If you want to tone up and gain a little bit of muscle then 80 and above would be best.

You lose weight easier probably because protein can make you feel more full while having little calories per serving. Unlike for example a handful of nuts or a glass of sweet orange juice what fills you up very little but has a lot of calories for so small portion from sugar and fat.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hi Holly- I'd suggest looking at this link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Most people here on MFP suggest that the default protein targets are too low, and that you should aim for more- as much as 1 gram/lb of lean body mass. That may be more than you want to go for, but it could at least give you an upper target to reach for! Personally I aim for 100 g each day- sometimes I get more, sometimes a little less. (I weigh 127 at 5'4")
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    People vary wildly on their recommendations for protein... but I aim for 0.82 grams per pound of body weight per day, based on this:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

There really isn't "too much" protein as long as your calories are where they need to be.