So my weights are set higher than yours

I had a situation at the gym I attend. I am 41 and an older woman maybe in her 50's or early 60's was using the weight machines after me. These type of machines only require pulling a pin out to set weight. She complained out loud that she couldn't follow me because my weight is too heavy for her. Then a trainer walks by and she complained to her! The trainer just smiled and walked away. Come on. It's a freaking pin. Don't be lazy and set it yourself. ( for what it's worth, I don't think my weights are set that high as I am still working on moving them higher). What would you have said to this person?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    it doesn't matter what weight they are set on.

It doesn't matter "how heavy it is"

if you are working out WITH the person- and rotating between each other- even if you don't know them it's typically polite to set the pin to their working weight- as a cursosty- but you don't have to.

If she just happened to be on the same circuit as you and coincidentally was doing the same workout- then tough *kitten*.

She sounds crazy. I mean what if a big guy was using them BEFORE she ever got there and that's what she wanted- did she expect him to "un pin it" after he was done?

it's not like a barbell where you have to move weights- you're right- it's one pin- it's perfectly normal to leave it where it was.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    What were you supposed to do, magically know what weight she was working at and set the pin there?
  • LisAri72
    LisAri72 Posts: 60 Member
    I had no idea who she was. It's on a circuit. I have to set weight or the seat to my specifications so I assumed everyone has to set it for theirselves. I don't complain to whoever goes before me. Just found her rude.
  • JoRocka
    I had no idea who she was. It's on a circuit. I have to set weight or the seat to my specifications so I assumed everyone has to set it for theirselves. I don't complain to whoever goes before me. Just found her rude.

why would you complain- it's not their job to GUESS your number.

Lifting weight is about what's pushing your boundaries- not what pushes your boundaries.

She's crazy- ignore her and keep doing what you are doing... or start barbell training- then you can start complaining about the *kitten* who don't unload 400 lbs of plates off the barbell LOL
  • LisAri72
    LisAri72 Posts: 60 Member

why would you complain- it's not their job to GUESS your number.

Lifting weight is about what's pushing your boundaries- not what pushes your boundaries.

She's crazy- ignore her and keep doing what you are doing... or start barbell training- then you can start complaining about the *kitten* who don't unload 400 lbs of plates off the barbell LOL

I would definitely complain as there is no way I would get 400 lbs off lol. Thanks for the encouragement! I just didn't know what to make of her.
  • JoRocka
    you can- it just takes some time and gets annoying- you find yourself moving a lot of weight helping people move weights or removing the ones someone elft- they are in 45 pound plates or 25 or 10 or 5- so it adds up- but easily manageable.

you're fine. go forth - be fabulous and worry not about the crazy old lady!
  • wallingf
    wallingf Posts: 29 Member
    Thought - is it possible she did not KNOW that she could pull the pin out and adjust the weight to her setting? As odd as it sounds, I have seen numerous people at the gym who do not seem to know they can adjust seats or other parts of machines. They just assume they know how to use them and never ask to be shown.

I would have stopped long enough to smile and say "All you have to do is pull that pin out and set it to whatever weight you are comfortable with".

FWIW - I think the trainer walking by and ignoring her comment/concern is inappropriate. He/She definitely should have at least taken the time to determine if she knew how to use the equipment.