Is exercising three days/wk enough?

Options
Hello!

This is my first time posting on MFP, I read often but thought I would take the plunge and get some opinions!

I am currently 127 lbs and am looking to get down to 115 lbs by August 1/14. So a weight loss goal of 12 lbs.

about 95% of my days I eat under my calorie goal. Only going over the occasional Sunday, Easter dinner etc. My problem is motivation to exercise. I am currently exercising 3-4 days a week. Three of those days being in the gym half hour cardio and half hour weights. The fourth day is usually a hot yoga class at Moksha.

Now, my question is, am I going to lose in that time frame doing this? Should I be exercising more? or trying to have more patience? I have been on the weight loss path for the last two months and have lost 7 lbs. Most articles I read online tell you to exercise 5 days/week. I might be a little hard on myself .. but I wasn't expecting a loss of only 3.5 Lbs. / Month. is this weight just being stubborn? I don't want to keep doing the same routine for the next couple months if i'm not going to get close to my goal.

Thanks!!

Replies

• lottewiegeraad
    lottewiegeraad Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I execise 3 times a week and it works for me. The only difference is that i exercise for almost 2 hours everytime, 60 minutes of weights/stretching and 50 minutes of cardio

When did you started to exercise? It took my body a month to ge used to all the exercsing after that I started to loose
  • jillk93
    jillk93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I execise 3 times a week and it works for me. The only difference is that i exercise for almost 2 hours everytime, 60 minutes of weights/stretching and 50 minutes of cardio

When did you started to exercise? It took my body a month to ge used to all the exercsing after that I started to loose

I started this routine about two months ago. So maybe I need to look at adding an extra half an hour or so to my workout's?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I started this routine about two months ago. So maybe I need to look at adding an extra half an hour or so to my workout's?
    Check out HIIT workouts. High intensity workouts). You can get them done quicker than a traditional one and the burn lasts a bit longer than a slower, more lengthy workout.

I do them when i dont have a ton of time an they work great
  • teanerhig21
    teanerhig21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Exercising is very important, but if your not loosing as much weight as you would like, revise your diet plan. IMO exercise should be used as a way further your weight loss after creating a healthy calorie deficit. If you have the time to hit the gym 5 days a week... and want to... go for it, you'll loose weight faster buy burning more calories everyday. If your like a lot of us and dont want to live at the gym because you have a family to cook dinner for or kids to get to school in the morning, keep it at 3 times a week and hit the drawing board with your diet again.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Your goal is achievable. However, understand that exercise doesn't make you lose weight - a sufficient calorie deficit is what does it.

I'm not saying not to exercise. It has its own set of benefits, but you need to look at things a little differently. Get your diet planned and under control to meet your weight loss goals. As far as exercise goes, your main goals (aside from being healthy) should be to retain muscle mass and build muscle so your physique shows up better under your skin and fat layer. The more muscle you retain, the easier you will lose the fat and the more muscle you can build will give you that hard body look at 115.

1) get your diet under control to hit your goals
    1a) eat enough protein to support #2.
    2) exercise to retain muscle