Travel Suggestions?

gatorflyer
gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been religiously healthy for two weeks now and plan to continue on this journey, but getting a little nervous about being derailed (or derailing myself ) during the holidays. It's a ways off and not really the reason for this post. I'll worry about that as it gets closer. However, In less than 2 weeks, I'm headed to a work conference for 4 days, away from the safety net of my home where I control what I eat, exercise, etc. I'm sure the hotel will have some workout facilities so I'm not as worried about that. What I am worried about is the constant need to eat out and how I will handle that, and what repercussions there will be to my progress. Anyone have some thoughts and suggestions about how to be as healthy as I can? Not sure I trust myself enough yet.

Replies

• Izzys_mom
    Izzys_mom Posts: 64 Member
    Go online and check out the restaurants around your hotel. Then check to see if they have websites with their menus and nutrition facts. You can map out all your meals before you go, with a little wiggle room to try new things if you like. Also make sure you set a time to workout or swim if they have facillities.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    In general, if you're going to be eating out, I would suggest asking the waiter/waitress what the healthiest choice on the menu might be and go with that, or if it's more fast food, order things plain without all the added sauces etc and aim for things grilled not fried.

On another note, my mother and I started this back in February and there have been days/weeks we've been not as good as usual/gone over calories/met obstacles, you know. We both decided that is part of life and as long as it's not a constant occurance, we don't fret it so much. It's not a race, it's a journey and as long as you keep plugging away, even if you have the occasional indulgence or slip up, you'll reach your goal. Good luck :smile:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    I just got back from 5 days away from home, it can be done!. Most restaurants have healthier options on the menu now so it has gotten easier. Stay away from the fried foods and those loaded with sauces. Go for the grilled or broiled options with a salad or vegies when available. The snacks/food on the plane has gotten better, you can go to the airlines web site and see what they will be offering and can get a salad or fruit at the airport to take on the plane if necessary. I took some packets of oatmeal in my suitcase in case the hotel didn't offer any healthy stuff on the breakfast bar (I didn't have to use them). I did however have a fridge in my room so I found a grocery store and got some fruit and yogurt for evening snacks.

Remember that when you travel you WILL retain water, so when you get back don't jump on the scale and freak out! Give yourself a couple days to re-hydrate and flush the bloat from your system.

Enjoy yourself! Even though you are changing your lifestyle, you still have to have a LIFE!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
    So for the group dinners (and I've been to plenty of those!), if it's a banquet type event, when you are first seated, ask the server what is on the menu and ask for substitutions. They will do it. For example, if you don't want potatoes, ask them to leave them off your plate, ask for the chicken entree with no sauce instead of the beef. Try to steer clear of the drinking, you can have tonic water with a lime and folks won't think anything of it (or heck, plain water with a lime). I really agree with what the other posters said, this is a journey and life will get in the way! Enjoy yourself.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Can you pack some healthy snacks that travel well (nuts, apples, etc)? Beyond that, just pick the healthiest things on the menu - lean meats and lots of veggies. Order low fat dressing on the side. Stay away from cream sauces. Instead of looking at it like "I am going to gorge on junk because that is all that will be available," try to figure out what the LEAST unhealthy foods are and have those, in smaller portions. Even if you do go over your fat and calories, you can take pride in knowing that you are working on it and making better choices than you would have in the past.
    DRINK LOTS OF WATER to flush out all that added salt you're sure to be getting, too.
    If you fall off the wagon, get back up again!
    You can do this!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Thanks all,great suggestions and support.
This discussion has been closed.