Sit-Ups After Surgery

Options
BL_Mark
BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
I had abdominal surgery back in November (2013) for Umbilical Hernia and Gallbladder removal.... I feel great but I'd like to firm up my "spare-tire" area. Will sit-ups help and should even I attempt them?

Replies

• pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You should really consult your surgeon/physician, it's hard to say from an outsider's standpoint whether you're healed enough to do that or not!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I'd like to firm up my "spare-tire" area. Will sit-ups help

No - exercises don't target fat loss. For an explanation, Google "spot reduction myth".
    Personally i'd focus on an overall calorie deficit. For exercise, cardio and full-body strength training is the usual advice.. assuming your doctor clears you for it.
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    THANKS!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    sit-ups don't burn abdominal fat................ a calorie deficit burns fat.... exercise and adequate protein intake helps to maintain lean mass while eating at a deficit to lose fat

check with a doctor about what exercises you can do and when.

I've had 2 c-sections (major abdominal surgery) and a minor abdominal surgery.... recovery from c-section was around 3 months and from the other one was a month or two, albeit that the doc read me the riot act re what would happen if I tried to lift heavy weights too soon. But she gave me the all-clear to lift again sooner than she'd originally said, because I healed up so well

you're probably fine to do any exercise now since the surgery was back in November, but you *must* get advice from a doctor, to be sure that you've healed up well and also in case any particular exercise can cause a relapse of the hernia or any other complications.