overworked and eating like crap- HELP

Options
Guys and gals- in the past month or so I've started working around 70 hours a week (desk job and bartending) and my diet's gone CRAZY... crazy BAD. I've gone from eating mostly fruits and veg to take out meals and chips. I need tips and advice on how to get back on track! The crazy thing is that I've actually lost weight, but this crappy food is making me feel awful. Have you ever been in this situation? How did you say no to this easy crap?

(Bonus- what amount of calories should I be eating? With my current situation 1200 felt like starvation but I don't feel 'active'. I'm 5'4, 25 and a female.)

Thanks for any advice or help!

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you're working even one job you're more active than 1200 calories can sustain, much less two jobs. And yeah, been in that situation, Quit one as soon as you can, that crap will wear you out fast.

As for avoiding junk, if you like boiled eggs they travel pretty well and one or two can keep you going awhile.
  • SillyTree
    SillyTree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just estimating, I would shoot for 1400-1500 a day, because you seem like you'd be on the go while bartending… Track that for a few days, and then up or lower by 200-250 depending on results… Don't be drastic.

If you learn to not just eat, but to give your body the vitamins and minerals it is lacking at that time, it becomes easier to say no, because you won't be hungry… On the other hand, if you eat a lot, but aren't giving your body the correct vitamins and minerals that it is lacking at that point, your body will still tell you it's hungry...
    Anyway…
    Sounds like you probably aren't eating every 2-4 hours because of your busy lifestyle!??? If that is true…Even though you're currently losing weight, you're training your body to learn to store fat… so… eat every 2-4 hours… and eat lean protein and veggies with every meal.

A couple of possible solutions for you based on the little info I read;
    1) Plan ahead… Cook out your meals well in advance for the whole week… or even 3-4 days at a time.
    2) Supplements. You're a prime candidate for somebody on the go, who can benefit from having a healthy shake a couple of times a day… which is easy and fast to make and consume.

If you're like my wife, you'll feel like you don't have time to prepare even those simple solutions… But, it is a catch 22… because being prepared, allows you to take better care of yourself, which ends up making you more efficient with everything you're doing…
    So in other words… not taking care of yourself because you don't have time is silly, because taking care of yourself, will allow you to be more efficient with your time, in essence, giving you more time.

Just some ideas for you to consider.
    :-)
  • Clendenen49
    Clendenen49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Alba! I have been in this situation and sort of am living it as well. I work as a personal trainer early in mornings and afternoon a nurse in the operating room and usually always on call. Busy schedule increases chance to eat poorly unless you have a plan before you start the day. Such as setting times up when you have a chance to eat and bringing food you make ahead of time with you. Times I know I will not have time to eat later that day like during long surgeries I will eat a much larger meal before.
    With your stats I'd say your not eating enough, try more like 2,000 calories if you worked out three times a week.
  • albatrossmarie
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far. I'm almost thinking of hitting the grocery on the daily to get an assortment of fruits/veg/etc to snack on throughout the day.