How Long Did it Take You To Like/Love Running??

Options
Some of the girls at work are talking about running the 10K at the Toronto Zoo in September. I'm not a runner and never have been, but I don't want to be left out. I'm hoping to use this as motivation for running and exercising. Most people I've spoken to say they originally hated running but the longer they did it the better it got. How long did it take you to not hate or like/love running? I'm trying to gauge how long I'll be dreading the workouts for the Couch to 10K app.

Also if anyone has any great tips, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

Replies

• dantonn9
    dantonn9 Posts: 13
    Options
    I hated running with a passion. It took me years to figure out why - I wasn't doing it right!

I was trying to go way too fast. I wasn't breathing deeply enough. I thought I could run right after a meal. It took some research, but once I used my new knowledge, I found that I really, truly enjoyed running!

It's not for everyone. I highly recommend that you run a couple times and make mental notes of all your complaints. Then google. It will make the your challenge much more enjoyable
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I was hooked as soon as I could run 1/2 a mile. :bigsmile:

However...I'm still new and only a walk/runner. But I am hooked, and can't wait til I can really run a respectable distance.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I hated running with a passion. It took me years to figure out why - I wasn't doing it right!

I was trying to go way too fast. I wasn't breathing deeply enough. I thought I could run right after a meal. It took some research, but once I used my new knowledge, I found that I really, truly enjoyed running!

It's not for everyone. I highly recommend that you run a couple times and make mental notes of all your complaints. Then google. It will make the your challenge much more enjoyable

this was my experience too. I *had* to do it so I kept doing it. I kept doing it even when I didn't have to anymore, but still didn't love it. I used to try to remind myself of how great I felt afterwards.
    It wasn't until I got hit by a car and was unable to run for awhile that I realized I really loved it.

ETA - I also started enjoying it more when I started participating in races and improving (I am still not fast, just doing better than last time was good enough for me). It isn't what motivates everyone but it does for me.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    It took me a month before I could run around the block without stopping (1 mile or so). Most people try to run too fast, too hard, for too long at first and therefore hate it because they can't breathe, their chest hurts, their hearts are pounding, they have side stitches, etc. etc. etc. I did too.

Start slowly, run slowly (NO, slower than that!), build up slowly. And read this (the best advice ever for new runners):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Took me 29.5 years in order to like running. Then...once I took my time and allowed my body to ease into running and do it a smart way (I used C25K) it took less than one week to change my mind set. Now I can't get enough of it.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Running was something I simply couldn't do when I was at my heaviest. I could hardly walk through the shopping mall without swollen ankles. Over time, running became the symbol of all the things I "couldn't" and would never do because of my weight – it represented my limitations, perceived and actual. I would solve world hunger and find Jimmy Hoffa's remains before I could run. When I was about 60 lbs down, I decided to try to run and I ran one lap (3/4 mile) around a small lake at a local park – a HUGE accomplishment for me. In that moment, instead of being a symbol of all I couldn't do, it became the symbol of the fact that I could do anything I set my mind to. In that moment I loved it.
  • pghfitgirl
    Options
    I've been doing it for 3 years and I still hate it. :laugh:

But seriously, it took a month or so to be able to run more than a half mile without keeling over. Now, I can pretty easily breeze through 2-4, a few times a week.
  • Aquamum9
    Aquamum9 Posts: 51
    Options
    I found once I could run 1 mile straight, I was hooked. I still find my first mile to be toughest, even when going on a 6-7 mile run. After that first mile, I hit the zone. :bigsmile:
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I found once I could run 1 mile straight, I was hooked. I still find my first mile to be toughest, even when going on a 6-7 mile run. After that first mile, I hit the zone. :bigsmile:

Same here. After I could run a full mile, I was a runner for life. If I am not feeling great for some reason but decide to run any way, the first mile is the hardest for me too...I am up to 13.1 miles and have signed up for my first marathon next January.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    I didn't like running for over 4 decades because I didn't know how to run right.
    Once I learnt how to run right, my passion with running grows every run I do.

Key 1: A good pair of running shoes.
    Key 2: Start running at a pace that won't go out of breath. (If it does, it's too fast)
    Key 3: Running in good form.
    Key 4: Gradually increase your distance first, not your speed.

I have been learning a lot about running and still have a lot to learn!
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've always loved running. I have asthma though... :( My mom has told me that when I was a toddler I ran a full half a mile without stopping once! She was chasing me all the way. (There was a track where we lived at the time.) Walking and running just make me feel at ease.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Running was something I simply couldn't do when I was at my heaviest. I could hardly walk through the shopping mall without swollen ankles. Over time, running became the symbol of all the things I "couldn't" and would never do because of my weight – it represented my limitations, perceived and actual. I would solve world hunger and find Jimmy Hoffa's remains before I could run. When I was about 60 lbs down, I decided to try to run and I ran one lap (3/4 mile) around a small lake at a local park – a HUGE accomplishment for me. In that moment, instead of being a symbol of all I couldn't do, it became the symbol of the fact that I could do anything I set my mind to. In that moment I loved it.

This is one of the most inspiring things I have read in a long time! You are amazing! Thank you for that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    while I don't mind taking a jog here and there, running is not my preferred form of exercise...not everyone "loves" running....and guess what...that's ok. I'd much rather cycle. I tried to force the issue for months and then I rediscovered my bike...I now only run on Mondays for my cross training jog...it's ok, but it's my least favorite exercise day and I look forward to Tuesdays when I can be back in the saddle.
  • Aquamum9
    Options

Same here. After I could run a full mile, I was a runner for life. If I am not feeling great for some reason but decide to run any way, the first mile is the hardest for me too...I am up to 13.1 miles and have signed up for my first marathon next January.

Wow, good for you!!! I am hoping to do a half this fall myself. A marathon is an incredible achievement. Feel free to add me if you'd like to be running buddies. :drinker:
  • tmodaniel0720
    tmodaniel0720 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ask me in the first mile of my run and 90% of the time I will tell you I hate it, ask me after that and I will tell you 70% of the time I love it, ask me after a 9+ mile run and I will 99% of the time love it.
  • Aquamum9
    Options
    Ask me in the first mile of my run and 90% of the time I will tell you I hate it, ask me after that and I will tell you 70% of the time I love it, ask me after a 9+ mile run and I will 99% of the time love it.

:drinker:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    A week and I liked it.

But it wasn't until my first trail run (more than a year after starting running) that I fell in love with it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

It is a fact that the first mile or two are the absolute worst, except with maybe the exception of hitting the wall at the end of a long run. But if we are basing on consistency of sucking, that would be mile 1 and 2.

Oh and second vote for the post linked above.
  • Suzmp85
    Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think I was hooked after the first week. I followed the C25K program and did a 5K, then I wanted to go further and train for a 10K..I didn't do a 10K program, I just slowly increased my miles to a 10K distance. After that, I wanted to go even further to a 1/2 Marathon..which went great. Oooh! I want to try to do a local 25K "what's a another 2 miles?" lol now after 3 years of running, I am setting up to train my first full Marathon that's in the fall. For me, it became a good addictive habit for me...it's my time to forget about life, and just focus on my training, and it feels good. :)
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well I never liked running until I wanted to like running. Once I decided to like running, I loved it.