Constantly Cold....all of a sudden!

Options
I am just wondering if anyone else out there has had the same problem I have -I am cold for the first time in 5 years!!! After shedding all this weight I can see now why I was ALWAYS so darn hot! Now, as fall is full upon us, I am freezing, constantly! I know my body is not used to this, since I have not weighed this little since 2005, but ahhhhhh!

Replies

• superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    DITTO! Those 80 extra pounds kept me warm. I'm freezing now. All. The. Time.

Charmagne
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yep. Only 22 lbs lost and I am RARELY ever cold, but last week I was bundled up when it was that rainy/wet/damp mess here in Boston. Random guy in the elevator even commented on me wearing a scarf and being bundled.

I asked my brother, my weight loss mentor, if it is due to losing weight. He said that the opposite should be true, but he's a guy, he's always hot!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 19 pounds so far but I am FREEZING! My husband is very hot natured so we are having issues with temperature control. Just the other day he told me he didn't know what I was going to do when winter came. :laugh:
  • thoward74
    thoward74 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ugh - me too!! I have always always always been the warm one - shorts and short sleeves in the winter. After losing 60 lbs, I find that I too am freezing ALL THE TIME! My electric blanket has become my new best friend ;-)
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS cold.....it takes a lot for me to get warm, I can sit outside on the beach all day and not be the least bit hot!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Yeppers - 40 down and I wear a sweater at work every day.
    I bundle up at home because I'm too cheap to turn the heat on.
    Haahaa!
  • GrayJohn
    Options
    Hey

Of for sure - I used to wear shorts outdoors in winter as I had lots and lots of fat to keep me warm. Now I've lost 131lbs I'm really cold and now buying lots of sweaters, jeans etc... it's hard to adapt to but I like the feeling if that makes sense? I never used to feel the cold but now I'm constantly cold!!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You took off a 67 pound fat coat. You will be cold from now on. Ever notice those annoying skinny people who are always wrapped up??? Congrats - you're one now xoxo
  • davebarron
    Options
    I'm a guy and since losing some weight, I am almost always cold so I don't think it's just a gal thing. I wear my jacket all day at work, and I think I am going to have to start wearing long underwear. The flip side is that I no longer sweat when walking up a flight of stairs!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Your body will feel as cold as your coldest part. So, if your hands feel cold, you will fee cold all over (etc). I actually in the winter wear some fingerless gloves at work because i get so cold I can't type!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Yup, cold all the time now. I gave up the electric blanket... it always ended up on the boyfriends side of the bed with HIM wrapped in it! I got one of those electric matress pads and like it soooo much better (it can't be pulled off me!). Got some sheepskin like slippers that I wear with footies. I now have to wear a t-shirt to bed to keep my shoulders from freezing. My snuggie is folded on the arm of my chair, ready for me at all times. :smile:
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I, too, started getting cold all the time. Even as I write this, I have a space heater running about a foot from me. It's on daily...even through the dead of summer.
    I'm sure it's due to losing weight. However, I've had blood tests done because I had doctors suspecting Thyroid issues due to my cold intolerance. So far, the Thyroid tests have come back normal. My endocrinologist has ordered another type of Thyroid test.
    That said, the first blood test came back not as Thyroid, but as being Diabetic.
    Why am I telling all this? Because that cold feeling could also be an underlying condition. Doubtful, but there are people with Thyroid issues, for example, that go undiagnosed.
    Just something to consider...
  • MzBug
    Options
    I started this with the support of my doctor and nutritionist. I did a follow up at 1 and 2 months in. Both times he did blood tests for diabetes, iron and thyroid because I did mention that I was always cold in the house (thermostat set at 72). Nothing turned up. Since nothing came up on the tests, and otherwise I was healthy, he asked me to come back in 3 months unless something else happened. The nutritionist mentioned that it happens to some people and not others. Maybe something to do with the increase in ice water intake and the better functioning of the kidneys?
  • crobinson3
    crobinson3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 8.5 stones and as the weather is starting to get a little colder I've really noticed the cold like never before. I can't explain why but I'm freezing cold all the time and have to have the heating on just to stay warm.

I think there must be something in the fact that with the extra fat there was extra padding or something. It's the only negative side effect I've had to the weight loss. brrrrrrr
  • MzBug
    Options
    Huh, I have been ok since we turned the air conditioning off. It has been colder than 72 in the house and I have been fine. Didn't get chilled until I went outside when it was 59, had to put a jacket on. Feet are still cold when getting into bed, but that is the hard wood floors.
  • iamanne
    iamanne Posts: 67
    Options
    I get cold now too after years and years of being the hot one. I especially get cold after I work out hard. Once the heat of the workout wears off I am way cold! Now I get why athletes wear jackets and long pants over their workout clothes. I suppose as we loose our fat layers we will have to start collecting sweaters and jackets to layer on. I see the benefit of this as not having to worry about sweat except when I am working out. :wink:
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    As soon as the weather starts to get colder around here I start wearing a sock hat all the time, inside and out and even to bed. I have lots of different ones made out of different fabrics for all the different situations.

You lose a ton of body heat through your head, so a hat makes sense. It is the first thing I put on extra when I start to get cold and the first thing I take off when I start to boil all of a sudden.
  • roddaye
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds. Now when I get cold, I can't get warm :(
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    After packing on 60 pounds, I am now constantly hot and sweaty, so I can attest it DOES make a difference!