Exercising Overused Muscles

Options
So, I typically run five times a week (anywhere from 5-9 miles a day or an interval sprint workout) with two rest days. Recently I had begun to experience a discomfort in my right inner thigh while running and, once it got worse, I went to the doctors to see what was up...it turns out I have an overused groin muscle, and I will not be able to run for the next two weeks while it recovers! I can't imagine my day or my workout routine without some form of high intensity cardio (like my running or even my interval running) :(

Any suggestions on what exercises/routines I can do for the next two weeks while my muscles recover?

Any tips on dealing & healing an overused groin muscle is greatly appreciated as well!!

Thank you :)

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    REST.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    REST.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    REST.

....means rest
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I recommend 5x5 sets of rest.

Make sure you get adequate rest between sets too. Then 24 hours of rest before you do another set of 5x5 of rest.

Do this for two weeks and reevaluate at that time.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    REST.
    Maybe throw in some ice among the resting.

Consult a doctor or physical therapist for stretches.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    REST.

....means rest

and more rest.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    REST.

....means rest

and more rest.

Maybe even some gentle resting?
  • positive714
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just get so anxious if I have to stay still & running really helps to clear my thoughts! I suppose I will have to endure for the next two weeks though!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    maybe take some time to recuperate...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr1oF7G4xiP2_jN2C8sMcCzwDCv9su0xfuGJYD0BPzJsVsuKxvaMhS2DI
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Actually, there are machines which allow you to do cardio with your upper body. They work sorta like bikes, with pedals that you push with your hands instead of your feet. They're made for paraplegics. If you don't have access to one at a gym or perhaps a short-term rental place, you might look up other forms of cardio that rely on upper body.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Take this time to rethink your routine. You need more than running for a well-balanced fitness regime.

I do INTENSE anaerobic and aerobic exercise 3 times a week. (Sparing tends to be anaerobic at a certain point.) I am switching from light weight training to heavy weight training now. I rest 2 days a week. My sport requires extreme flexibility to prevent injuries and to do a lot of the moves. I've noticed over the years most of the folks who get injury doing Martial Arts only do Martial Arts. They also tend to overdo. Your body is trying to tell you it needs less running and more of something else. I would cut back on running and incorporate weight training and stretching into my routine...AFTER I WAS RESTED AND ALL HEALED UP!
    I did mention REST, right?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    But seriously, if it was me, I'd do two weeks of upper body stuff because I suck at resting too.

True story.

ETA: And by "upper body stuff", I mean, bench and pull-ups and OHP and rows and things of that nature...not some Airdyne arm-bike upper body cardio machine from hell. Perhaps now is the time for OP to consider the non-cardio side of fitness.

(But seriously, rest your lower body...and resting your entire body is still probably the "right" answer.)
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

I just get so anxious if I have to stay still & running really helps to clear my thoughts! I suppose I will have to endure for the next two weeks though!

When I get anxious, and I can't exercise or do drugs, I *kitten*. Try it!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Do you log it? And is this still technically considered "rest"?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I recommend couch sit-downs and TV series catch-ups.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    REST.

....means rest

and more rest.

Maybe even some gentle resting?

dab34cde8e11d5d295d63cecfe19ccd0b8ca86695bb1d437ab6cf4dff0dafff1.jpg
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

Aren't you guys forgetting this is a groin injury?
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

I log it as pilates, and yes it's rest! It's not wacky stuff, it's more like the 'light the vanilla-scented candles and put on soft music and really take your time with it' sort of pilates.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I would but I don't think 30 seconds of HIIF qualifies as much of a calorie burn.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Aren't you guys forgetting this is a groin injury?

Good catch.

So, yeah, OP...you should probably just rest.