Need a little bit of advice

Options
2»

Replies

• Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the feeling intimidated by the weight section of the gym. Here is what I did (and still do). Go to bodybuilding.com and check out the 'workouts' section. That section can be broken down into muscle groups and even give you routine ideas that you can print out. This will give you pictures and show you how to use the equipment that your gym offers. Then all you have to do is be brave and jump in!
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!! I'm going this week... No matter how I feel!!! I ran a damn spartan! I can go to the weightlifting side of the gym!! =P
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Add weight training without a doubt. A common mistake (one I made myself) is to focus so hard on losing and avoid the weight room. Not only will you feel better, but weight training continues to burn calories long after you have left the gym. Also one pound of fat burns 2 calories at rest compared to 6 calories that muscle burns. It will increase your metabolism as well. Finally as all who have dieted know that the more you lose the slower the pounds come off...weight training now will add the benefits of the boosted metabolism I mentioned earlier and make you less likely to hit a bad plateau.
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Also when you hit your goal weight you will reveal a muscular/ toned body that had been hiding underneath...that in and of itself will be rewarding and something to look forward and motivate you (hopefully) to continue your path to your ideal weight :)
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    =) Just wanted to say I was really proud of myself... I did go to the weightlifting side of the gym today!! hooray!!
  • TheRealKingTony
    TheRealKingTony Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cardio boosts your metabolism for only a short period, perhaps a few hours at most...

Strength training can boost your metabolism for up to 72 hours! A huge difference.

Also never be intimidated by not being the same as the others in the weightlifting areas. I had a few thoughts like this when I first started but I've only experienced positive things.

Another thing I've learned is it's not about how much you can lift, it's more that you're doing what you can. It should be a struggle but doable. If you think "that was easy" after you finished then maybe you're ready to up your weight slightly.

Anyone who would judge based on the amount of weight you're lifting doesn't belong there.