How do you deal...

Options
How do you deal with rude people making comments about your size?
I'm not a really big girl, 160lbs and 5'5".. I used to be quite a bit smaller but gained a lot while pregnant. Now there's a group of people in my small town that like to make rude comments/gestures about how big I am and I don't even know what to say to them. Usually I avoid them but in a small town it isn't always possible.

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    How about a look like you're going to cut them if they say one.more.thing. You don't need to take that.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Thank them for their concern, then tell them it's a shame that their ugly attitude will be with them for life unlike your weight gain which you are currently working on.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    People are trying to bring you down because they know you are above them. F THEM! You have better things to worry about than people who don't matter!
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Use it as fuel to motivate you honey! And just think about how good it will feel to run their faces in it when you reach your goals.

Your baby is gorgeous by the way :wink:
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nobody has ever said anything directly to me, but they've said it behind my back. I'm such a timid, non-confrontational person though. With all the downsides to that type of personality, it has its benefits. I'm still a nice person and don't treat them any differently. Some of them have become closer and more friendly.

People will judge. If not based on weight, then based on race, freckles, glasses, religion, sexuality, or clothing. There isn't much you can do about it. You can confront them and make it into a bigger deal, or you can just be nice to them and hope they will change their narrow-minded ways.

Being nice to people who are mean to you usually makes them feel guilty.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Look at them with a surprised look and say something like "Wow I can't believe you just said that". Then shake your head and walk away.

Remember the Viking saying: Living well is the best revenge.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A quick "why are you saying this to me? What do you think will happen as a result?" I find that when I engage my hecklers, it usually disarms them.
  • mercurywinks
    mercurywinks Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I remove them from my life. If I can't, I laugh it off, because one day they'll all be in the same boat, and while its going to creep up and over take them later In life, I'm working hard to get healthy now so I won't have to suffer later.
  • Dallymomma
    Dallymomma Posts: 20
    Options
    Use it as fuel to motivate you honey! And just think about how good it will feel to rub their faces in it when you reach your goals.

Your baby is gorgeous by the way :wink:

Thinking about it in the long run is definitely a good idea. I won't always be a little overweight, but they'll probably always be *kitten* with such great lives that they have nothing better to do than to talk about me.

Thank you, I'm really blessed because he's a healthy and happy baby too :)