How big is your average cucumber?

amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
I wasn't sure where to post this, because it's more of a curiosity than nutrition.

Inches not being my standard measuring unit, I just logged a cucumber as a cucumber without paying attention to the size. How off could it be? It's mostly water. Today I had some weird cucumber craving and and had four average ones. When I measured them they came at 220 grams. To my shock, the four combined had less calories than the 1 I had been logging before! Are your average cucumbers really that big?

I've noticed the same thing for bananas, where 1 banana is usually equal to the calories of two of our average ones.

The exception to this was pita bread. Our SMALL pita is 4 times the size of a medium pita listed on here.

Replies

• alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    I don't know why I found the title of this thread so amusing :indifferent:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    They're much smaller in the Arab world than they are in the west.

But the Arab ones taste sweeter and make nicer salads.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Amusing....but it is also the reason I weigh everything in gramms and do not use volume except sometimes for liquids.

And I mean, what is an average medium sized apple, pear, orange, tomato, potato etc. The list goes on...
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    yep. made me giggle. as did the OP.

gutter minds unite!
  • amusedmonkey
    This was intended as a discussion about foods having different average sizes in different places. I'm glad it was amusing though :wink:

So have you been to place where some foods were not the size you are used to?
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member

I did too :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Not what I thought this thread was going to be. I am disappoint. :angry:
  • amusedmonkey
    Ha! I should have used a different title "what does the average cucumber in your country weigh". I just find cultural differences to be really interesting, especially when it comes to food. How it's eaten, how it's prepared and even how big is an average serving. Oh well, it's my own fault. I should have phrased it better.
  • robmac13h
    robmac13h Posts: 44 Member

I did too :smile:

me too :)
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    So i assume you take the whole cucumber in, even the big ones. No point in wasting a good one.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    So have you been to place where some foods were not the size you are used to?
    so, food is what the kids are calling it these days 'eh?
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    So i assume you take the whole cucumber in, even the big ones. No point in wasting a good one.

:laugh:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Ha! I should have used a different title "what does the average cucumber in your country weigh". I just find cultural differences to be really interesting, especially when it comes to food. How it's eaten, how it's prepared and even how big is an average serving. Oh well, it's my own fault. I should have phrased it better.

Nah, it's not your fault we're bunch of sickos!:flowerforyou:
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    It's Cucumber these days, hhhmmmm.
    What happened to the bannanas the visiting school nurses used?

:laugh: :tongue:

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    It's nice to know we can make cucumbers fit. Cos I was pretty worried, to be honest
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member

As did I... We've been here too long :ohwell:
    I almost feel a bit guilty that I came to this thread expecting pages of .gifs and innuendos.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    From my experience , the average size is around 4-7 inches but people on the internet tend to exaggerate and you will find that most people have cucumbers in excess of 13 inches. :-X

Back on topic though, i happen to have some cucumbers and since i have absolutely nothing to do right now i measured and weighed each one to get an average of something we would buy in supermarkets on the east coast of America that would usually be referred to as "generic medium cucumber" on a search.

Cucumber #1 :382.52 grams 7.3750 inches
    Cucumber #2 405.38 grams 9.25 inches
    Cucumber #3 384.82 grams 7.6875 inches
    Cucumber #4 365.71 grams.6.8750 inches
    From my experience , the average size is around 4-7 inches but people on the internet tend to exaggerate and you will find that most people have cucumbers in excess of 13 inches. :-X

Back on topic though, i happen to have some cucumbers and since i have absolutely nothing to do right now i measured and weighed each one to get an average of something we would buy in supermarkets on the east coast of America that would usually be referred to as "generic medium cucumber" on a search.

Cucumber #1 :382.52 grams 7.3750 inches
    Cucumber #2 405.38 grams 9.25 inches
    Cucumber #3 384.82 grams 7.6875 inches
    Cucumber #4 365.71 grams.6.8750 inches

Interesting! I was curious if that really WAS an average. Turns out to be true. Cucumbers in Russia are about the same size as the ones here (though a different type, the kind that has bumps) , so these are the only 2 cultural references I had. Thank you for answering. I reposted my question rephrased on another thread and it got no answers.
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Ah, but which is more satisfying - one big cucumber or repeated smaller ones?

Dare I ask if you were peeling the cucumbers or keeping them whole? :bigsmile:
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Ah, but which is more satisfying - one big cucumber or repeated smaller ones?

Dare I ask if you were peeling the cucumbers or keeping them whole? :bigsmile:

Another thing to consider is how fast you can finish the cucumber. It is most certainly more satisfying to savor the long lasting ones but nothing wrong with finishing one quickly so you can get another.