Whey protein and when to have it??

Options
When is the proper time to drink a protrein (whey) drink? With a meal? As a snack? before or after a workout? If before or after a workout, does it matter if cardio or strength?

I'm just starting to get into the groove of working out and have 50+ lbs to lose--is it something I should drink when I'm already lean and working out herder and more consistently--like a "professional" level or ultra -active people?

I really hope these are not dumb question....

thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• mariahcajuste
    mariahcajuste Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I drink it first thing in the morning after my workout. I was informed by my trainer that it is not a meal replacement but rather a supplement and should be added to regular breakfast.

So I take 2 scoops of whey protein in my drink mix in the morning with 2 eggs for example. In the beginning it was hard to eat that much but eventually you get use to it.

This is just what I do but you should consult a nutritionist or your trainer.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Definitely after your workout. and before wouldn't kill you. Casein protein before bed.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    It helps rebuild your muscle (if I understand that right) and my trainer told me the best time to take it is within 30-60 minutes after working out... My trainer says to me everyday "now make sure you go get some protein"

However, my husband (he's lost 100lbs) takes 1 scoop in the morning before work, and 2 scoops in the late evening after his workout.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I personally think a lot of people use whey protein here when they don't need to. I try and get to my protein goal (99g) by eating a well-balanced diet. I don't rely on whey protein at all. I do, however, make a protein shake when I go on a long run (burn over 700 calories) and know I need the extra protein. Usually I won't be able to work the extra protein into my diet but know I need it for recovery purposes.

I do see a lot of people on here burning 200-500 calories and having a goal of 40-60g of protein and using whey to get them to that goal. In my opinion, I think it's unnecessary and in that case, more dairy/lean meat is needed in one's diet. It's not *that* hard to get to 40-60 grams of protein. 100+ is a bit more difficult.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    It helps rebuild your muscle (if I understand that right) and my trainer told me the best time to take it is within 30-60 minutes after working out... My trainer says to me everyday "now make sure you go get some protein" ....

30 60 mins at the latest.

Ultimately as soon as your done working out. As soon as you step off a machine, stop running, stop lifting weights, or dismount your bike you need to start drinking your protein supplement. The sooner the better I have even heard some say begin drinking it in the last half of your workout if you can stomach it. Your body starts looking for those building blocks as soon as your'e done tearing down the muscle so to already have it in your stomach makes a lot of sense. This is the reason some say to have some before as well.

And in case your wondering about a cheap alternative1% or 2% chocolate milk is perfect and much cheaper than whey protein and more delicious.
    http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/247_fitness_tip.html
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest I've heard before, after, and it doesn't' matter. Given that "doesn't matter" includes both of the others, I'll go with that one, especially since that's where it makes the most sense.

Basically so long as the amino acids are in your blood stream, your body will use them. So it really doesn't matter whether its before or after. Drinking it during the last half hour of working out won't do anything except make you sick - the liquid still has to travel through your digestive tract, spend some time in the stomach where pepsin starts breaking it down, and then into the small intestine where it is broken down into di-peptides and ultimately the component amino acids (courtesy of pancreatic enzymes). After all that, it can finally be absorbed into the blood stream and used.

So I guess before would be better, but really you should just take the supplement regularly (without bearing to exercise) and keep those amino acid levels up so your body always has access to them.