Donuts at work...

Options
sunnyk8
sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
How can I avoid them? This is the second time in two weeks that someone has brought in a box of donuts. My first thought is, "oh man, just walk away". But then the instant someone personally offers me one, I cave. And boy, does it taste delicious. But SO BAD. And I feel so guilty. Any tips to help avoid these evil-doers?

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Willpower. They're not going to stop bringing crap into the office. Do your best to avoid the kitchen and try and drink some extra water. In most cases, you're probably not hungry and just having one because they are there. Maybe stash a treat in your desk (as in granola bar) to enjoy instead of a donut.

People at my work bake a ton and are constantly bringing in bagels/donuts/muffins. I try and log my food for the day ahead of schedule and look and see that it won't fit in. I do (very seldom) give in when someone brings something but only when I have room for it in my diary and only if I'm getting in a good workout that day.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    We always have donuts at work too! I find if I have eaten a good breakfast I don't even want them, but when I skip breakfast I am more tempted. Or, before you take it, enter into your food diary and then think about the rest of the day and whether it is worth it. If it fits in with your calorie/exercise goals then eat it (or half of it), I think saying you can never have a certain food is a recipe for disaster.
    I don't think anyone at the office will be hurt if you don't have a donut-more for them!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Will power my dear... I work in a bakery.. I allow myself 1 donut a week. It's all about negotiating with yourself lol. Much luck!
  • alli1570
    Options
    At my WW meetings we used to call people like that "food pushers"...if they were pushing drugs at work you'd say no!! For me...donuts might as well be crack!! Just say NO!! :)

Good Luck!!!
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Willpower is right.. Just think of how much exercise it will take to burn a donut off... Plus it is full of sugar.. I have vitatops that I keep at work for instances just like this so I can avoid the temptation.. Best of Luck :smile:
  • sunnyk8
    Options
    Logging in advance sounds like a really good idea. I might have to try that! Then it it is harder to stray!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Tell as many people about your new journey! Those who really care about you will help you. As far as temptation, how badly do you want a healthy lifestyle? The goal has to be your top priority and walk away from temptation, you have all the power! Use it!!!
  • RRodine
    Options
    Keep some low-calorie granola bars that you think are especially yummy, I really like the Fiber one or the Fiber plus bars. I eat them very slowly and enjoy every chocolatey bite, I feel like I am being really bad but...it is actually the opposite and I get my sweet fix for the day. It works for me, try it!!!
  • groucherella
    Options
    Convince yourself you saw someone manhandle all of them so they won't remain attractive to you. Or have your sweet tooth surgically removed. I'd go with the convincing myself option!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    try bringing a snack to keep in your desk maybe vitatops or special k crisp bars. If you can't resist try to stick with one cake donut they are a better choice then most of the others, or look up how many calories the donut you want is and tell yourself if you eat it that is how many calories you need to work off that day.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    How can I avoid them? This is the second time in two weeks that someone has brought in a box of donuts. My first thought is, "oh man, just walk away". But then the instant someone personally offers me one, I cave. And boy, does it taste delicious. But SO BAD. And I feel so guilty. Any tips to help avoid these evil-doers?
    You need to decide you're going to resist, promise yourself you're going to rest, and then keep your promise. It helps a WHOLE lot if you're not hungry when the temptation comes along.
  • sunnyk8
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am determined NOT to eat a donut next time. It really is a willpower thing. I want to lose weight MUCH more than I want a donut, and the happiness from getting healthy is far greater than the happiness of a donut.

SCREW YOU, DONUT!
  • nurse_jenie
    Options
    I brought donuts in this morning for work and did not touch them. When I look at them I just ask myself if I want to lose weight or eat that donut, and then because I'm a total nerd I start doing the math in my head of how much the donut will set me back and by the time I'm done I don't even want one. Just think *skinny*
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I ADORE donuts!

I say - don't say no every time. It's a lot easier to say no sometime then to say no all the time (or feel like you have to) and then cause it to make you cave.

Take a donut. But, be sure it's a kind you really like. I don't like the airy type, but sometimes I eat them anyway and then am like - WHY? But, if I have a cake donut with white chocolate and nuts I truly enjoy it and never feel guilty for eating one because they are my favorite!

Work it into your diet to have a little wiggle room. Take a walk at lunch, up your cardio that evening, or scale back another meal to compensate. And also eat just one (and not every time) and slowly so you enjoy it and those extra 300 cals (manageable) don't turn into 600 (a little overkill).

Side note - the dang donut ad is up on my screen - making me want some even more! :)
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    double post.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i bake a batch of blueberry muffins and make them in full-sized muffin tins but only put a very tiny amount of batter into each section. Where the mix says it yields 6, i get 12. Plus i add in a handful of thawed berries from the freezer. They bake up to be very short little muffins, but the top part is the best part anyways, IMO! ;)

I can eat 1 or 2 or even 3 of these and feel like I am getting in that baked goodie treat (even better: going back for seconds!).

If you have access to a freezer in your office, bake up a batch to store in the freezer, then pull one out once in a while when your co-workers are indulging in oversized versions. That tiny, portion-controlled treat will get you thru!
  • doris_day
    doris_day Posts: 159
    Options
    My trick was to say a little fib. No one wants to hear "I'm sorry, I can't I'm on a diet". Then I get the eye rolls and then even more pushing to eat what they brought in.
    I say "I'm in a weight-loss contest with my best friend and I weigh in tomorrow - I just gotta beat her." That always works for me.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    My trick was to say a little fib. No one wants to hear "I'm sorry, I can't I'm on a diet". Then I get the eye rolls and then even more pushing to eat what they brought in.
    I say "I'm in a weight-loss contest with my best friend and I weigh in tomorrow - I just gotta beat her." That always works for me.
    I used to get stressed out worrying about what to say, and then I realized people don't need an explanation as often as I thought they did. Usually, "No, thank you" is enough. If someone pushes it farther and wants to know why, it's very difficult for them to argue with "Because I don't want one."
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Eat a good satisfying, filling breakfast. Just say NO. It definitely is willpower.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Here's what I do in these situations:

- Did I want a donut before I was aware that they were in the office?
    No: I don't 'really' want one and the craving will pass. Wait it out, it WILL pass.
    No (but I ate an entire donut anyway): Count it and move on. No guilt. Make the remainder of your food day accommodate this choice.
    Yes: Perfect! You read my mind, bringer of donuts. I'll have half a donut because that has 50% fewer calories than a whole donut.

No matter what you pick, eat the rest of your day accordingly.

Hubby and I had sushi lunch a few days ago. Afterwards went to this AWESOME dessert place for coffee. He purchased two cupcakes (this place bakes them from scratch). I cut off 1/3 of each cupcake and ate it. Charged myself 150 or 200 calories (can't remember). It was delicious with my coffee. The point is, you can have ANYTHING, ANY day of the week. Live life! Taste life!

Charmagne