I think I have a problem....

Options
I am if you couldn't notice a dessert *kitten*, ok well my stomach is a *kitten* in general and likes everything except humus, tufurkey, etc. Well since I've been on this program ( about 17days ) I have given up all the stuff I crave like ice cream, cake, bbq pork, double cheeseburgers,etc and stuck to the essentials like salad, plants, the occasional fake plant in the office when no ones looking, and wacthed all my intake.

This is great ( I've lost 17 pounds today so far!!) but I find myself reminnesing ( can't spell Im a mechanic) about all the foods I used to make, all the desserts I loved to enjoy ( Like a 5 scoop sundae wih hot fudge and banana's on it yummy, or this awesome apple pie thats made from 18 apples and topped with carmel http://www.theblueowlgiftshop.com/product.php?productid=32&cat=0&page=1&featured ). Do any of you do this? My better half is like Rachael Ray but hotter and funnier and loves to cook and when I'm not deployed on business for months at a time to iraq and other places where watching my weight isnt an issue were glued to the tv watching food network, planning barbeques, and our meals for the week.

My problem is I go 4 months at a time eating MRE's, curry food, beef from turkey, or like right now I'm deployed stateside but live out of a hotel room and work 7 days a week 12 hours a day so I have little temptation to eat those things or go on a good old munching spree since they aren't there, but I like to "eyeball rape" some foods on food network and pictures my lil Rachael Ray sends me via email. She is cooking healthier now and watching Elie Krager but I still hear about ad see some of the things she makes for someones birthday or for a potluck at her work.

I just love those foods and quiet honestly I can't stand eating vegtables right now, besides corn on the cob. Maybe its because I have no method other than a microwave and a toaster oven to make them tastey? I threw down some salad in the first week like a camel sucks down 44 gals of water in less than a minute and a half but now I'm burnt out. I goto the grocery store and I dont know what to buy besides Chicken, lettuce, salad, eggs, skim milk and fruit, diet bread, diet lunch meat, and diet cheese. I did buy a 100 cal of those Fudge shoppe things with the cute little elf looking dudes ( reminds me of my favorite cookie from the elfs called El Fudge) I am trying to make this my best bang or my buck so I try to keep under my daily calories by a couple hundred or more by drinking my water before I eat and after ( to fill my stomach full) but I go blank when I goto the store. I envision what I used to buy but for one m trying to be healthier and for two I really have no way to cook too much and refuse to eat out!

I realize now that alot of it has to do with the right portions, but how do you get out of your old mind set and ignore your old ways and learn new? I did bbq some asparagus and some fruit and chicken skeewers occasionally when I was back home but man I love to cook the good stuff like meatloaf, deep fried turkey, pulled bbq pork, bbq in general, now all i can do is go online and see the foods I'm missing out on. Which I guess is better then eating all of them right?!? I can't complain since I'm losing an average of a pound a day so my body is happy but it feels so weird to have "visions" of foods or old receipes or to think up new ones but I draw a blank when it comes to the healthy aspect of it.

Wow I don't think I made any sense, Sorry long ramble of meaningless stuff on my mind. Anyone in the same boat?

Replies

• barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am if you couldn't notice a dessert *kitten*, ok well my stomach is a *kitten* in general and likes everything except humus, tufurkey, etc. Well since I've been on this program ( about 17days ) I have given up all the stuff I crave like ice cream, cake, bbq pork, double cheeseburgers,etc and stuck to the essentials like salad, plants, the occasional fake plant in the office when no ones looking, and wacthed all my intake.

This is great ( I've lost 17 pounds today so far!!) but I find myself reminnesing ( can't spell Im a mechanic) about all the foods I used to make, all the desserts I loved to enjoy ( Like a 5 scoop sundae wih hot fudge and banana's on it yummy, or this awesome apple pie thats made from 18 apples and topped with carmel http://www.theblueowlgiftshop.com/product.php?productid=32&cat=0&page=1&featured ). Do any of you do this? My better half is like Rachael Ray but hotter and funnier and loves to cook and when I'm not deployed on business for months at a time to iraq and other places where watching my weight isnt an issue were glued to the tv watching food network, planning barbeques, and our meals for the week.

My problem is I go 4 months at a time eating MRE's, curry food, beef from turkey, or like right now I'm deployed stateside but live out of a hotel room and work 7 days a week 12 hours a day so I have little temptation to eat those things or go on a good old munching spree since they aren't there, but I like to "eyeball rape" some foods on food network and pictures my lil Rachael Ray sends me via email. She is cooking healthier now and watching Elie Krager but I still hear about ad see some of the things she makes for someones birthday or for a potluck at her work.

I just love those foods and quiet honestly I can't stand eating vegtables right now, besides corn on the cob. Maybe its because I have no method other than a microwave and a toaster oven to make them tastey? I threw down some salad in the first week like a camel sucks down 44 gals of water in less than a minute and a half but now I'm burnt out. I goto the grocery store and I dont know what to buy besides Chicken, lettuce, salad, eggs, skim milk and fruit, diet bread, diet lunch meat, and diet cheese. I did buy a 100 cal of those Fudge shoppe things with the cute little elf looking dudes ( reminds me of my favorite cookie from the elfs called El Fudge) I am trying to make this my best bang or my buck so I try to keep under my daily calories by a couple hundred or more by drinking my water before I eat and after ( to fill my stomach full) but I go blank when I goto the store. I envision what I used to buy but for one m trying to be healthier and for two I really have no way to cook too much and refuse to eat out!

I realize now that alot of it has to do with the right portions, but how do you get out of your old mind set and ignore your old ways and learn new? I did bbq some asparagus and some fruit and chicken skeewers occasionally when I was back home but man I love to cook the good stuff like meatloaf, deep fried turkey, pulled bbq pork, bbq in general, now all i can do is go online and see the foods I'm missing out on. Which I guess is better then eating all of them right?!? I can't complain since I'm losing an average of a pound a day so my body is happy but it feels so weird to have "visions" of foods or old receipes or to think up new ones but I draw a blank when it comes to the healthy aspect of it.

Wow I don't think I made any sense, Sorry long ramble of meaningless stuff on my mind. Anyone in the same boat?
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options

I miss chocolate ice cream with chot fudge and caramel sauce, bananas, macadamia nuts and spray whipped cream. Just writing it makes me want it.:laugh:
    I allow myself one cheat day a week and never on a day I don't work out. Over time if you cut out the "bad" stuff and replace with healthier choices your body will not crave it as much. I have the south beach diet send me recipes,if you go to the website you can sign up to have them sent to you for free. look on here too, there are some AWESOME recipes posted on here everyday.
    One thing that popped in my head while I was reading your post, I "steam" in the microwave in a bowl w/plastic wrap for 3 minutes, super easy and can be done on the road. It is hard at first to get in the 'mindframe" as you say, it takes a lot of pre-planning for me, now though it has pretty much become habit and doesn't seem so hard, it just takes time for change to become permanent. hang in there.:flowerforyou:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Man, my husband was watching the Food Network for like 3 hours this morning. When the Cupcakes special came on, I almost died.

I remembered how much I :heart: yellow cake with fudge frosting. Holy s***, I want one RIGHT NOW!!!

It's tough! :drinker:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    OK I admit I love love love ice cream. But guess what you can still enjoy them. Not everyday or every meal granted, but you can enjoy them. Don't let yourself get crazy. Try some frozen yogurt. Be deliberate and allow that enjoyment. Being healthy isn't just know what is good for you and eating it, its knowing how to enjoy everything else in moderation as well and making good choices.

You can do this. By the way once in awhile those ice cream dreams just have to be endulged lol:drinker:
  • queenie
    queenie Posts: 5
    Options
    I also, allow myself one cheat day, and I have lost weight doing that.

I think it's all about starting with the mind too, and changing the way way we think... As I remember when I wanted to quit smoking in the WORST way (because of course, it's not good for you). But I also didn't want to quit, because I LIKED smoking too much. (When my tantrums mellowed, I chose the cleaner life, over stench and cancer.)

It's truly a personal choice that only YOU can make a decision on, like what do you want more: A pound of fatty cookies for a month, or a smaller jean size within a month. (I've broken my chocolate cookie habit and switched from oreos, to healthy chocolate grahams.) You just have to break the habit - one day at a time, and just like cigarettes, the cravings eventually get out of the system.

Just continue as you have been, cause you are doing a GREAT job!
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Yea it's tough. Keri I laughed so hard because your husband and I are so alike! If people didn't know any better if they walked by the room when I was watching food network they'd think I was having sex!:laugh: :laugh: That's one channel I don't get up here thankfully! You haven't seen food network until you've seen it in 50" plasma. ( My room mates tv) It's like a cupcake surrounding the wall! All I have to say is Paula Deen can throw it down! Well not in a healthy way, I laugh because I count how many sticks of butter she uses for each dish, Theres almost always 1, sometimes 4!

I agree I should probably indulge a little but like I was saying I'm trying to cut and grind as much as I can. I'm hoping I can hold out until I fly out my fiance the second week of June and celebrate our anniversary and just kill two birds with one stone. I'm pushing myself to see if I can lose the remaining 30 pounds by then, I think it's possible at a rate of a pound a day, I have 40 days so that allows aout a half pound or so. I know its alot to lose, if it doesnt happen it doesnt happen but I really want to wow her when she comes out. Not that she cares either way she claims shell love me no matter how big I get ( Yea and I love to put rabid weasels in my underwear for the thrill! )

Thanks again everyone, I'll see what I can muster up!:drinker: