Weight gain after a week of eating better and exercising

Options
Hi,

So, I started eating better just over a week ago now, by better i mean less bread, no takeaways, no goodies - more veggies and fruit and drinking 2 litres of water a day. I also started exercising again on Friday spending about an hour in the gym 200-300 calories and then a 20 minute walk home afterwards. I started off weighing 76 kg/ 11 stone.13 lbs when i weighed myself on Friday and then i weighed myself last night with the same scales and they told me i have gained a 1kg so i am now 77kg/12 stone 2lbs. I dont understand how i have put on weight, i understand the weight isnt going to drop off instantly, but i would have hoped to atleast stay the same instead of gaining. Is there anything i can do differently? I have read things on water retention - could this be the case? Also if so, how can i stop my body from retaining the water?

Any help would be really really appreciated as im already feeling demotivated - but i know i need to keep it up!!

Feel free to add me also if you have any advice!!
Thank you

Kelly

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's water retention from exercise. Don't stress it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    x2

New exercise does that.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I know it is frustrating, and we have all been there (honestly), but try not to let this get to you! As the above poster said, it is most likely just water weight and that will resolve itself in a few days. A week is hardly any time at all, really, just stick with what you are doing because it sounds like you are on the right track. You CAN do this!
  • SunnyDee712
    SunnyDee712 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The other posters are correct...it's water retention from exercising. I had the same thing happen and got really frustrated. Stick with it, and you will see a loss very soon, I promise!
  • RozzeleS
    RozzeleS Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Yes this.. I had to test this one day so weighed my self before my workout and straight after and had gained 2lb even after losing bout 10lb of sweat.. Don't panic its normal :)
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yup, ditto what everyone else said.

To clarify, when you exercise, you make tiny tears in your muscles - don't panic, this is not dangerous (unless you made a big tear and it really really hurts!!), it's perfectly normal, and when that tissue repairs itself it's what makes you stronger!

To help the muscles repair those little tears, your blood vessels deliver more blood to them (the blood contains the proteins and bits and pieces needed to repair, and blood also contains a lot of water.

When you first start out exercising, it's a bit of a shock to the system so your body holds on to your water to deliver that blood to the muscles. Think of it as a good thing - it shows you are working hard! Keep going and you will eventually see results - though it may take a week or two yet for your body to get used to the new routine .

:flowerforyou:
  • Nanskinny
    Options
    It could be water weight or your starting your period. I used to gain 5 lbs before my period...no kidding. If it is water weight that you are dealing with, less salt and some regular tea or coffee are natural diuretics, and will help with the water retention. Also be sure to count your calories everyday. I thought I was eating healthier and was gaining because I was still eating too many calories that I did not burn off. Hope this helps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep in mind too, that weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you will lose, some gain and some stay the same. You need to watch trends over a 4-6 week period time before making adjustments. The biggest thing you can do is buy a food scale to ensure you are accurate. Also, do not over extend your goal. If you only have a few lbs to lose, aiming for 2 lbs per week is too aggressive.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    1. Don't fear water retention. It is a natural part of the body process.
    2. The body can go up or down 2+ kg per day. PER DAY!!!! The best way to stop the crazies from the scale is to step on it at the same time each time, preferably in the morning before eating. Try to record only once a week.
    3. Eating better is great for your health, but if you are still eating too many calories, you won't be seeing the weight loss. Focus on calories for weight loss, exercise for fitness.
    4. Patience. Seriously, it has only been a week. You should give it at least a month to determine actual progress. For now, focus on other benefits like feeling better, having more energy, improving your fitness level. Take measurements as a secondary method of progress monitoring since sometimes the measurements move, but not the scale.
  • kellybigbelly19
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!
    You have really made me feel better about it and motivated me to continue with my exercise, also to look at properly what I'm eating !!

Kelly
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Kelly - another good tool for you is to record your measurements. I work with some women that are having big time body composition changes with very little weight change. I've had to give them a motivational shot in the arm here and there. Who cares what you weigh if you're losing inches? Only you and your scale know what you weigh, everyone around you know whether or not you look healthy.

One of those same women couldn't believe I weigh 205 (at 5'9" and ~ 14% bodyfat). She said "my husband weighs 200 lbs and he has a big beer belly!!!" It's all about body composition.
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the others here.

The same thing happened to me this first week back on. I actually gained a pound. But then weighed myself yesterday and am down that pound plus one more.

I wouldn't worry until you are not losing for several weeks in a row. Then I would start being really strict about weighing food and seeing where I have a surplus.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    it happens a LOT
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

This!! Be patient!!
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    All the above but for me this happens...
    I over-estimate my excercise...Then I eat back some of those over-estimated calories burned...And then I under-estimate the food I ate.
    Then I realize what I did wrong...All too late...lol
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and it can fluctuate up and down with water retention for sure. It will balance out the next day, no worries. I started weighing in daily because it was easy for me to get discouraged if my weekly weigh in was off like your was. Seeing all the daily fluctuations add up to the proper numbers over time keeps my head on straight, even if the scale says I gained 2 lbs last night I know what's really going on. The guy suggesting measurements is also spot on, it's a great motivational tool.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    There can be so many factors.

Also don't forget muscle weigh's more than fat, so look at your measurements and that will be a tell tail sign.

Keep with it and you will see results
  • Whimsywins
    Options
    Kelly - another good tool for you is to record your measurements. I work with some women that are having big time body composition changes with very little weight change. I've had to give them a motivational shot in the arm here and there. Who cares what you weigh if you're losing inches? Only you and your scale know what you weigh, everyone around you know whether or not you look healthy.

One of those same women couldn't believe I weigh 205 (at 5'9" and ~ 14% bodyfat). She said "my husband weighs 200 lbs and he has a big beer belly!!!" It's all about body composition.

Yes! Exactly! Fit lean and sexy don't have a weight scale or else we would say wow you look like 125 lbs! What we all want is just to feel healthier, really everything else is just..."icing"