Gaining weight!!!

Hi everyone!
Recently, I upped my caloried to 1580 after finding that my BMR was 1529. I used to eat just 1200 a day with exercise on top of that and not eat back any calories, i lost quite a bit of weight through this until recently, the weightloss stopped. I thought this was because i was eating too little for my body to function properly so I upped them. I exercise everyday for an hour, and when i weighed myself this morning, i found that i had gained 3 pounds :noway: ! Am i now eating too much? im really confused sad:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    no you are not eating too much with a gross calorie goal of 1500...chances are you are netting 1200 now.

You have increased food and now have a bit more fuel for your workouts so it is possible you have new stores of glycogen and water in the muscles...

Or you are just retaining water...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    When you increase calories you will retain more water and have a short term weight gain. Give it a couple of weeks then if you continue to gain then reassess. You're body can naturally vary up to 5 pounds a day anyway. Good luck
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    What the others said.

Also, make sure you're weighing and measuring all of your food and logging accurately every single day. If you're guessing portions, you're probably guessing wrong.
  • Calamitycazza
    Calamitycazza Posts: 87 Member
    I really hope its just a blip lol I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks and have been working really hard to lose a few extra pounds but it just wasn't happening! So i decided to up my calories, but now I'm gaining weight! I know it sounds silly but im almost tempted to go back to 1200 to try and lose those extra pounds but i really felt like that it wasn't enough calories for me! what would you suggest I do?
  • Calamitycazza
    I measure everything i eat accurately and log everything i eat
  • agentventi
    agentventi Posts: 84 Member
    it would also depend on where those extra calories are coming from. It would help to open up your food log so we can help you :) But I am currently doing the same, increasing calories.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    I measure everything i eat accurately and log everything i eat

Do you weigh everything or using measuring cups? Are you picking the correct entries in the database and verifying that the information is correct?

Your diary isn't open so can't see your logging. Plus what everyone else said.
  • SezxyStef
    it would also depend on where those extra calories are coming from. It would help to open up your food log so we can help you :) But I am currently doing the same, increasing calories.

No it doesn't matter where they come from...food is food and no one food causes more weight gain than another.

And measuring only (using cups and spoons) doesn't really cut it most of the time.

A food scale is most accurate.
  • Calamitycazza
    I use a food scale for solid food and measuring cups/jug for liquids. Plus, I just opened my food diary!
  • SezxyStef
    it's not open but doesn't really matter..

it is water/glycogen stores being replensihed with the extra food...stop stressing or you will make it worse...no joke...

stress causes cortisol levels to rise which causes more water retention...

Chill out and let it all even out.
  • Calamitycazza
    Will do! I was just worried I'd gain a fair amount back before my holiday which i definitely dont want! I didnt think it could be water because i drink between 2-3 litres a day! This may be a stupid question, but will the weight start coming off again?
  • SezxyStef
    If you maintain your deficet, continue to log accurately and weigh solids and measure liquids...yes it will come off again...

It may take a week...or two or even three and you could experience the "whoosh"...and lose like 3-4lbs all at once...

Just don't stress...if you are doing it all right the weight will come off.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • Calamitycazza
    I really hope it does! I'm going to Majorca in 2 weeks and was really hoping to be able to tone up for it lol. I've been trying for about 2 months with no hope, the weight wouldn't budge! I know there's no way im now gonna get that nice slim belly in 2 weeks but I really hope I don't gain any more and go back to what I was at least lol

Thank you so much for helping me, I feel much better and less stressed :flowerforyou: