what are you doing?

Hi
Here goes...i joined a gym in Nov. wieghing 227lbs...didn't take it seriously, so I now weigh 235. I 've been trying really hard during the last 2 months but i've only lost 2lbs. I have lost 8 inches all together but the scale isn't moving.

Just wondering if anyone has any advise?

I do cardio for 30-45 min 3x wk
with strength training

Replies

• shamahn17
    shamahn17 Posts: 26 Member
    Hi
    Here goes...i joined a gym in Nov. wieghing 227lbs...didn't take it seriously, so I now weigh 235. I 've been trying really hard during the last 2 months but i've only lost 2lbs. I have lost 8 inches all together but the scale isn't moving.

Just wondering if anyone has any advise?

I do cardio for 30-45 min 3x wk
    with strength training
  • kmjgrant
    kmjgrant Posts: 80
    Just make sure you are eaing your calories and your exercise calories and then you should lose more. But sometimes, the body gets lazy is what I feel and doesn't want to lose anymore calories for awhile. But, it will happen and congratulations on what you have done, that is great
    :drinker:
  • mililani
    mililani Posts: 17
    Ah, yes, a lot of people see that. Sometimes, when you start working out, your body just starts building muscle instead of losing weight. If you want to track that happening, you could buy a bodyfat monitoring scale. If you are losing the inches and not losing the weight, that should be motivation enough! See yourself going from pre- to post-diet Oprah!!!
  • nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    eat those calories!!!!!!!! dont get discouraged!:flowerforyou:
  • I can relate!!! I started at exactly 235. For a long time I didn't lose anything but inches, and then suddenly the weight started going. Don't get discouraged and stay off the scale... I started in February and I've just dropped below 210. Keep at it!!! Don't just do cardio - add weight lifting to your workout. It's intimidating at first, believe me... but worth it. :flowerforyou:
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Wow. Great job.:drinker: The scale :grumble: may not be saying what you want it to but the inches say quite a bit. Keep it up. I think you are doing fantastic.:flowerforyou:
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    You are doing great! Losing inches is just as important (if not more important) then losing weight. You are building muscle, which ways more then fat but takes up less space. So, you are in a good place. Now that you have been working out for 3 weeks, its time to crank up your work outs so your body doesn't get used to the excercise! Start the cardio machine at a higher level, or add in some resistance training.
  • shamahn17
    shamahn17 Posts: 26 Member
    Thanx for the replies!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    sham,

different people lose it in different ways. If you are losing inches, that's just as good, that means you are losing fat, sometimes the change in eating facilitates greater water retention, sometimes it causes increase in muscle, both can be reasons why you aren't seeing weight drop, once your body settles into a rhythm it will start to drop off. It can take a few months for some, others lose it right away. It all depends on your individual body. Stick with it though, sounds like it's working for you, just not in the way you expected. :drinker: