Biblical Approach for weight loss

Options
Hello MFP,

I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in starting a weight loss group that took a biblical approach to weight loss. There are several bible studies out there so I am open. I was trying to think of a way for a small group to keep track of successes and support each other as needed.

If anyone is interested or has any suggestions let me know.

Valerie :flowerforyou:

PS. I'm not trying to start a debate or anything on religion just looking for like minded people. Thanks!

Replies

• chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    That's kind of what I am doing but I would love to find a Bible study on the subject. I am taking a primal approach but it is very evolution based, so I have adapted my thinking... if God made it, I eat it. If man made it, I don't. Friend me and lets talk about this! :)

Chrissy
  • regl
    regl Posts: 1
    Options
    I think that is a great approach for weight loss. I would be interested in seeing what God's Word has to say about health, nutriion, etc.
  • Jenn97355
    Jenn97355 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello...I am restricted(for muscle reason for now:angry: ) for doing "diets", but I have done quite a few Biblical diets:happy: . Being rasied as I was, we fasted the 1st day, then went from there, once we were centered and focus. I guess it's a way to say we were trying to purify/detox our spirit/mind AND our bodies...:flowerforyou:

I remember doing one called the John the Baptist plan, where we ate a lot of nuts, and manna or Ezekiel bread. some fresh fruit. I have done a few different where you only eat organic meat & food(our house does this to prevent toxifying our bodies with pesticides) Mostly they consist of raw wheat berries you grow, and make your own unleavened bread; lots of nuts and grains, NO High fructose corn syrup...you get the idea. :smile: I am assuming you know about a few of these just by the title. I follow some of these ideas every day, but am watched carefully with my eating & exercising.

I hope this helps, also if you need a friend on here to encourage you, you can add me. :flowerforyou: I love this website, and am thrilled to have a place to go and chat, log in, and encourage others.

Have a great day

~~Jenn
  • Jenn97355
    Jenn97355 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That's kind of what I am doing but I would love to find a Bible study on the subject. I am taking a primal approach but it is very evolution based, so I have adapted my thinking... if God made it, I eat it. If man made it, I don't. Friend me and lets talk about this! :)

Chrissy

Yep...I TOTALLY agree...:bigsmile: if God made it, then I will eat it, and feed it too my family. There are a few things we "cheat" on (like a soda a month, but no corn syrup)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,665 Member
    Options
    Have any of you checked out the Body Gospel workout? I haven't, but it's a Beachbody program, and I've tried plenty of their other programs. I'm currently doing Slim Series and loving it. There is a video on their website that tells about it. I can give you a link if you want, but I didn't want to post it without asking first.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas. Just in case this link doesn't work, go to www.cbd.com and search for "weight Loss"

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=weight+loss&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1

Lets pick a study and do it! we can all order the books online, go through the lessons/chapters, and "go forth"! :)
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestion. I am going to do some research on line and repost this topic with my finding. Valerie:wink:
  • starsnyc21
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestion. I am going to do some research on line and repost this topic with my finding. Valerie:wink:
  • starsnyc21
    Options
    Sarah, this link is great. Thanks for sharing. I will be contacting you soon. Happy losing:)
  • fit4lyfe7
    fit4lyfe7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You know I'm down. This weight has to go and I have to be healthy! Keep me posted.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Here's my thought about it...technically, The Mediterranean Diet is the healthiest diet in all of the world. Studies show that there is less heart disease, diabetes & cancers etc. The Mediterranean includes guess what?? Israel! What I've been doing is trying to find authentic israeli recipes. No substitutes, making everything from scratch like God's people do. No processed food in our house. I'm cooking Mediterranean as much as possible and yes still will make some of our American favorites w/Mediterranean substitutes. I only use whole wheat flour for example.

There's an 85 year old lady that attends our church. She was diagnosed w/lung cancer from second hand smoke some 40 years ago. She did all the research, which is now online & even more accurate and resourceful, and wrote a book called, "The Kings Diet" . http://www.amazon.com/Kings-diet-Recipe-healthy-living/dp/0892210680 It's basically the Mediterranean Diet. She taught Biblical dieting for years in Texas. I have a copy of the book, it's not a Bible study but information and her recipes. I'll tell you what, she still used some products that I wouldn't use. It was back in the day when they substituted carob for chocolate...we all know a square of dark chocolate is good for us daily...We eat better and more simpler but rich & tasty!!! Anyway, she was healed from cancer by changing her diet!!!! yep! It's possible! God made food and said it was good!

It's not about low fat, that's the US market. Pushing processed food in our bodies..ICK! Has anyone seen FOOD INC??? It's on youtube...I had my family watch it and now we have a vegetable/herb garden and chickens! lol

I've bookmarked this thread...
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Funnygirl, i totally agree. I have adapted a primal diet to make it work for me and it's very similar. Lots of lean protein and fruits and veggies, I do eat some grains (not really primal) like oats. The less processed the better. :)
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Just found the post and depend on the bible study maybe. Wish I could say we are all non processed food but we don't and can't afford it to. Next year we are going to do our own garden so we can get closer to how god had plan we eat. It is all a process and we are just starting.
  • sharanranran
    sharanranran Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I have 'sort of' been following the Meditteranean Diet Plan, but not strictly. I am trying to maintain my weight right now, but I'd be very interested in joining this type of group. I will be watching to see what you find out.
    :flowerforyou: