Vitamins

Options
Hi,

I have started to look into a daily multi vitamin, but I don't even know where to start! I normally take vitamin D in the winter (to help keep SAD away), but I'm thinking that I should start taking a vitamin with everything instead . Does anyone have an recommendations? Thank you so much!

ps. If it helps, I am a 22 year old female

Replies

• ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like women's one-a-day active metabolism. It has extra b vitamins for my much needed energy boost in the morning!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    if you are taking synthetic vitamins - purchased from GNC, Wal-Mart, Wal-Greens, CVS, Rite Aid, Grocery Store…………..Etc, etc……

They are doing you NO good, no matter if they are liquid, gummy, pill, etc………..

We should be taking Raw Vitamins that mimic the food we eat. Fresh Veggies and Fruit, meats are not packed with the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients like they used to be. The ground that the crops are planted on are so depleted of vitamins and minerals that our food is seriously lacking.

Even more reason to buy organic from local and sustainable farmers in your local area and only eat what is in season.

I take Natural Creations and have noticed a major difference. I also take 5,000 IU per day of Vitamin D because I am deficient there and causes SAD and overall depression and no energy,
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I take the Beyond Health multivitamins. They are expensive but very high quality and backed by science. There is a lot of information on the Beyond Health website too. If you click on the "Free Reports" tab there is a PDF file called "The Roadmap to Choosing Supplements". The website is www.beyondhealth.com.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    iThey are doing you NO good, no matter if they are liquid, gummy, pill, etc………..
    Maybe, maybe not.

I take vitamins in areas where my labs show I have deficiencies and, when I take the vitamins, my deficiencies go away. So obviously they are doing me some good, in some cases a lot of good.

If the chemical composition of a vitamin is exactly the same, your body doesn't know if it was created in a lab or by nature. It only responds to the molecule. Now, some "whole food" vitamins claim to be better absorbed because they have "helper" ingredients that help the main vitamin be absorbed in the same way our food does. But the clinical data to support this is kind of weak and you can get the same effect by taking your vitamins with food or buying vitamins that have some of the helper ingredients in there too -- like getting a calcium pill that also has Vitamin D in it.