Do you use trend weight or actual weight for reference?

Options
I use Libra on my phone and log my weight every day, which gives me a trend value (estimated goal date, etc) and I know there are other apps that do the same.

So when you're talking about how much weight you've lost in a month, or a year, or whatnot, do you refer to your trend weight, or the weight at that moment in time?

For example, I'm currently at 104.3kg, and my trend is 105.3kg; which would you use for a "2 month progress" and why?

I'm curious as to what others do :)

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    My ticker uses daily weight just because it is tied to my fitbit aria scale. However, for figuring out my BMR and things of that nature, I always use trend weight. It is the more valid number.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I use actual weight, which sometimes hurts. But, the overall trend direction is what's important.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use my actual weight...I have lost 49lbs...not 50...or 48...
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If its for my ticker then I use my actual weekly measurement whether +/-. If someone asks (and if I actually tell them) I use trend, its easier to get a better picture since my weight fluctuates a ton in either direction any given day.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I use my actual weight And what I've actually lost.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    So when you're talking about how much weight you've lost in a month, or a year, or whatnot, do you refer to your trend weight, or the weight at that moment in time?

I don't really talk about how much weight I've lost in the real world, except at major milestones (10% lost, 20 lbs lost, etc). I think that the trend is helpful when you're fluctuating for your own mental health, as in "I have gained and lost this same 1 lb for a week... but the trend is still towards weight loss." If my husband asks me how much weight I've lost, I look at my MFP ticker, which I update every day.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with weight gains, as my logic is, just because you've put on 0.5kg this week, you've still lost 10kg since you started it all (example).

I think using your trend weight for calculations (TDEE/BMR etc) is a good idea. Never thought of that, thanks.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Who actually talks about how much weight they've lost? And if somebody asks, they're being way too nosy in my opinion.

Anyway, I use my actual weight when I'm doing calculations, but that's it. My goals are not based on a number on a scale.