Running and listening to audiobooks/something similar?

Options
BigT555
BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
does anyone here listen to audiobook or something else (not music) when they are running?

im starting to get into running, and i want something to listen too but i got thinking and perhaps there is a was to work on my mental gainz at the same time as cardio, but im also thinking it could be too hard to concentrate on whats being said while running and i dont want to spend money on an audiobook and risk this not working out, because i wont listen too it just sitting down or whatever, id rather actually read in that case

any input is appreciated :)

also if anyone has suggestions for books to increase said mental gainz id love to hear them, ill read pretty much anything thats made for teens and up. and dont tell me 50 shades of grey

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I have a Zombies Run App and it tells a story in between my songs. I love it. It distracts me from my brain trying to make me believe I'm going to die.

If you like Non-Fiction may I recommend Beyond Band of Brothers by Major D!ck Winters? He's so inspiring.
  • isstasi
    isstasi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Podcasts work wonders, you get a pretty steady stream of new content without having to pay for each new edition. My personally favorites are "Getting on with James Urbaniak" and "How did this get made" but there are hundreds of shows for any taste.

http://www.podcastalley.com/

http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/
  • babykitten13
    Options
    When I am too tired but I still want to work out, I read a book while doing stationary bicycle. It helps me stay on the bike and keep a slow pace that won't exhaust me completely but still get my muscles work. Still, it is hard to concentrate on both. So, I think an audiobook won't help you much while running.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I almost always listen to books instead of music when I workout. I've been able to get so many more books finished from my 'must read' pile than when I just read print versions.

The Goldfinch (which just won the Pulitzer) was my companion on many late winter/early spring workouts. It made the time fly!
  • AlyssaSupernova
    AlyssaSupernova Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi!

When I work out on a treadmill, I usually watch an episode of something on netflix, youtube or anything else. The episodes are a standard 45 minutes and I usually use the episodes to keep track of time. I only watch them while working out so any breaks I take, I make sure I also pauze the episode.

I also use audible.com to download audiobooks but I usually do that while on slow pace walking because it is really distracting and it's hard to focus on listening and running at the same time. Audiobooks are good when you are relaxing, stretching, yoga or anything of that sort.

So yeah, give it a try! :)
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I listen to audio books on a daily basis and I actually prefer to exercise while listening to one instead of music. The great thing about listening to a book is the fact that you have to pay attention to a certain level to what it’s being said, so it takes your mind away for the fatigue, or how much more you have to go. I have found myself going longer on a run just because my mind was not fully engaged in the exercise. I just go. Now, as you know audiobooks are very expensive so I would advise you to lend them from your local library (e-collections so you just have to download them to your device) or check the “deal of the day” from Audible.com. I have bought many audiobooks from those daily deals for as little as $1.95. Also if you have a Kindle or the Kindle app you can look for a book that you are interested on and has the whispersync for voice option and buy both. Doing it like that will end up being cheaper than just buying the audiobook alone.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You could sure try a free podcast to see if it works for you. I love books on tape / podcasts, but unfortunately running is still so challenging for me that I can't concentrate on them while I'm running. I can while walking, but all I can manage while running is music...preferably something fairly fast. It is partly why I enjoy running though. There's no room in my head to think about anything other than the run.
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to watch martial arts instructional videos while I row, but recently switched up to either an audiobook or a podcast.
  • NetflixFitness87
    Options
    NETFLIX user here. I listen to all sorts of things on my mobile device. Different shows and documentaries. Sometimes music too. I feel like I am getting my couch potato time in on my walk/jog/eliptical/treadmill!!

I may have to try audiobooks since I love to read but don't find the time to do it enough and/or I fall asleep OR it keeps me up way too late, am I right? lol
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Zombies Run app. My fav.
  • ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love to listen to audiobooks and podcasts while I'm running. The This American Life podcast basically got me through training for my first marathon. Even better? It's free!
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If I'm on a treadmill, I prefer to look at everything in front of me and watch people. It's kind of entertaining. If I had to listen to anything, I think I'd listen to NPR. It seems like a good way to stay up to date on current (important) news.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I always listen to audio books when I run and walk. There are lots of them available for a very low price if you sign up to get Audible.com's daily deal, and also check out the Whispersync selection on Amazon. A lot of the books in that category are low price with the option to add the audible book for less than $4. So in other words, you buy the Kindle book, add the audible book, and the total price is a fraction of the price you'd pay to just buy the audible book. I use a Bluetooth ear piece, and it's very convenient.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've put on some Ted Talks on my phone while running. Didn't watch the video but listened intently. It had me thinking about lots of cool things.
  • Kristieprobst
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks all the time, including while I walk (not a runner) and swim laps. I find books that don't have a lot of characters to follow to be easier while exercising. I wouldn't try Game of Thrones, for example. I also like to listen to humorous stuff while exercising, though I admit that it's a little awkward when I am swimming and find myself cracking up to a David Sedaris book...makes it a little hard to breathe. I mostly use Audible.

Podcasts are also great. I love This American Life and Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me.
  • jpvieira
    jpvieira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I find pod casts are a good bet, the right ones tend to be engaging and make the time go by. Plus there are as many out there as there are topics which you might be interested in. And lots are free!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I listen to running podcasts while I run (I probably have a dozen or so I listen to). It keeps my mind off of the mileage and lets me kind of zone out into podcast land. When I try music, I use it more as "background noise" and start thinking too much about the running. I'd like to give audiobooks a try soon too.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I listen to music while running - I find it helps me keep moving better.

For a while I opted to listen to the audiobook instead, but I found myself walking more often in my runs. I think I find the beat of the music motivating. So I switched back to music.

Also I like to let my mind wander while running - makes me unwind better - and I couldn't do that as well with the audiobook. So now I listen to the book during my warm-up/cool down.
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I listen to music now, but I used to listen to the radio, mainly for the songs, but as I sometimes ran during the morning breakfast shows which have much more talking than music and I'd be able to pay attention fine and sometimes even find myself laughing out loud at the funny content! Which was a little annoying as it made me more out of breath :p no suggestions of books, just that I didn't find it hard to concentrate on dialogue whilst running :)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I have two thousand books or so in epub format that I am slowly working through. I use the andoid app Moonreader Pro (5 bucks or so), it has the best user interface for books. AND when I am driving/shopping/cleaning or RUNNING, I have it read me my books (yes, I am kind of nerdy). Getting through a second read of the Game of Thrones series right now. If my book isn't in epub format, I use Calibre to convert it.

Occasionally I will listen to podcasts of This American Life. But what keeps me running is listening to my books. It is also why I run with my iPhone and my old android, because nothing in the apple app store is anything like Moonreader Pro.