Zucchini and Yellow Squash Noodles

Options
ThinLizzie0802
ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
Last night I made zucchini and yellow squash noodles with sautéed chicken and tomatoes topped with a little parmesan cheese.
I used a Brieftons Spiral Slicer: Stainless Steel Vegetable Spiralizer which basically makes two different sizes of julienne. I got it off Amazon for $20. I took four chicken breasts and chopped them into cubes. I used a seasoned salt blend I make and some McCormick Just a Pinch Salt Free Fiesta Citrus. I heated up some olive oil in a skillet over medium and started to sautee the chicken. I used four small zucchini and four small yellow squash. After slicing them I pushed some of the water out of the noodles with paper towels and a strainer. I then tossed them in olive oil and seasoned salt. I put them in a skillet heated over medium. After the chicken cooked until near done (about 12 minutes) I put in the tomatoes I diced, added a little more seasoning, and continued to stir it over the heat for another 6 minutes. I cooked the noodles for 8 minutes. Then I just put it all in a bowl and topped with a little Meijer Grated Parmesan cheese! This served three people with some of the chicken/tomato mix left over. I was cooking at my personal trainer's house so I did not take the time to measure and add the recipe to get nutrition. It was delicious, and I have a feeling pretty low calorie.
2lkaf53.jpg
hvbbxi.jpg

Replies

• ThinLizzie0802
    Options
    Bump
  • chmtastic
    chmtastic Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious!! cool contraption! :bigsmile:
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I bought one and do love it. Have used it on zucchini and carrots to make stir fry-ish dishes.
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a spirooli and love it. I make sautéed zucchini noodles all the time. A bit of olive oil, minced garlic, fresh pepper and salt, some diced tomatoes and top it with some shaved parmesan. Super delish and low cal.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    Options
    Ah I'm glad you said that because I forgot to add that I added garlic to the hot pan for one minute before putting the noodles in!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Last night I made zucchini and yellow squash noodles with sautéed chicken and tomatoes topped with a little parmesan cheese.
    I used a Brieftons Spiral Slicer: Stainless Steel Vegetable Spiralizer which basically makes two different sizes of julienne. I got it off Amazon for $20. I took four chicken breasts and chopped them into cubes. I used a seasoned salt blend I make and some McCormick Just a Pinch Salt Free Fiesta Citrus. I heated up some olive oil in a skillet over medium and started to sautee the chicken. I used four small zucchini and four small yellow squash. After slicing them I pushed some of the water out of the noodles with paper towels and a strainer. I then tossed them in olive oil and seasoned salt. I put them in a skillet heated over medium. After the chicken cooked until near done (about 12 minutes) I put in the tomatoes I diced, added a little more seasoning, and continued to stir it over the heat for another 6 minutes. I cooked the noodles for 8 minutes. Then I just put it all in a bowl and topped with a little Meijer Grated Parmesan cheese! This served three people with some of the chicken/tomato mix left over. I was cooking at my personal trainer's house so I did not take the time to measure and add the recipe to get nutrition. It was delicious, and I have a feeling pretty low calorie.
    2lkaf53.jpg
    hvbbxi.jpg
    Awesome!! Sounds delicious and I so appreciate the brand name and photo of the one you use also being shared. I've wanted one for so long but so many brands and so many varied prices. Can't wait to pick one up and try out your recipe.

Glad you took time to share and the photos are great!:drinker:
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I just bought this yesterday and have not tried it yet! Thank you for your post. I will be trying this and I am so excited. You recipe sounds amazing.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have got to get one of those!! We love to make zucchini and squash noodles, but I usually just cut them really thin with a knife. My kids would love this! Thank you for posting! :smile:
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I just got one the other week (gift from my kids :love: ) and it is awesome!! I had been just using a vegetable peeler, but would always end up with waste. The only thing I don't like is the little bit of the end that is left. It is totally worth it!! I going to make "pasta" salad and uses these "noodles" :smile:
  • ThinLizzie0802
    Options
    It was very easy to use and inexpensive. There are identical ones on Amazon for $14.95 by a different brand as well. It does leave a pencil shaped core at the end of your veggie. It can accept very large veggies. It has a circular holder with a pin you can use but because my zucchini and squash were so thin I ended up just holding it with my hands. I will be doing a carrot and raisin salad with it and making shoe string breakfast potatoes! Also, it shoots the seed goop out the other end while you do it so it doesn't end up in your noodles but pay attention or it will end up on your floor!
  • p_berley
    p_berley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good!! Im going to buy that device!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I'll be having one of these! :flowerforyou: Thanks for the share!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I bought a $10 peeler at BB&B & used a coupon. It's a 2 piece,but only used the one. Works great. they also have the spiral cutter mentioned for $15.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Been looking for a spiral cutter, so thanks for the info! I love eating spaghetti squash in lieu of normal pasta, but they aren't always in season. I think zucchini/squash noodles sound yummy. Carrot ones too! Maybe in a honey & mustard German inspired dressing with sliced sausage....
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had no idea such magic existed. I didn't buy this particuar brand but after reading this thread I went right to Amazon and purchased one of these awesome contraptions. This is why I go to these forums.

Thanks for the posting!
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    the other thing about my spirooli that I love is from the time I start making the noodles to dinner on my plate...7 min or less. You can't beat that.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I do this with my mandolin - love to julienne the zucchini and use it with spaghetti sauce.
    Your dinner looks fantastic! Yum

ETA - I usually put my cooked zucchini on paper towels after cooked to get more moisture out - I steam it most of the time so this takes away the additional water. otherwise you will have a puddle on your plate :)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Maybe in a honey & mustard German inspired dressing with sliced sausage....

YUM!!
  • jshashaty
    jshashaty Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    OMG...Looks delish. Gotta try it.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yummy!!! I will be making this soon. Thanks