Things to add to Waffle / Pancake mix (mainly for protein) ?

I have a nice waffle/protein batter that has 30g carbs & 12g protein for one serving (3-ish pancakes, depending on size).

This is fine with me, but I'd like to add something to them to try & get closer to a 1:1 carb to protein ratio.

PLEASE DO NOT SAY PROTEIN POWDER. I'm aware I could to this. But it messes with the consistency a little, plus I'm looking for more unique & flavorful options.

One I often do is bacon. Cook a few strips & crumble them, then toss into the mixture. Tastes great!

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Hmm, let's see. How about:
    Greek Yogurt
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    Peanut Butter
    Other breakfast Meats
    ..I know you don't like the protein powder idea, but different powders have better textures and consistencies so maybe finding the right one could help with your batter problem.
  • OnU2nite
    OnU2nite Posts: 23 Member
    Lean Protein Sources:
    boneless skinless chicken breast
    lean ground chicken
    lean ground turkey
    tilapia, cod, halibut
    canned tuna in water
    egg, egg whites

High Fat Protein Sources:
    salmon, sea bass
    bison, buffalo
    top round, sirloin or flank steak

Vegetarian Protein Sources:
    tofu
    seitan
    tofurkey
    edamame

As far as waffles go.... A "little" consistency change is better than any of the above IMO. However, there is a chicken and waffle place I see in town. Try the chicken and see what you think. Someone will probably suggest peanut butter. That's a fat with saturated fat. Does it have protein? Sure.... But not without a lot of extra. If you go that route I suggest all natural, low sodium peanut or almond butter.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    If you have oil in your recipe, you can substitute peanut butter. You could also add PB2 to your dry ingredients. Awesome with bananas, BTW. You could also experiment with tofu--silken soft tofu has a consistency like yogurt when beaten in the food processor, so you might be able to do something with that. Let us know how it goes!
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Cottage or ricotta cheese with cinnamon! :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    egg whites replacing for whole eggs.

peanut butter.

greek yogurt.

goat cheese. ( i actually think this would taste really good topped with honey instead of maple syrup.)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Ground flaxseed or chia seeds would give a small additional protein boost with minimal carbs and calories, and it wouldn't mess up your consistency. Plus omega fatty acids.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    i love making pancakes and waffles and i'm not a fan of protein powders.

peanut butter (which has been said)
    flax seed meal (you can use this instead of egg too but egg equals protein)
    almonds or other nuts
    oatmeal
    chocolate milk
    Quinoa
    greek yogurt
    ricotta cheese
    chicken sausage
    make your own turkey sausage and put bits of it (cooked) in the mix
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Thanks for the ideas so far, guys! The chicken + waffle combo sounds the most intriguing to me so far, & chicken with waffles is actually a delicious combo.

I also like the addition of cheese for a more savory dish, rather than sweet.

Excited to try some of these out tonight... Keep the ideas coming!
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Tried the chicken & it was great! Also bought some black walnuts to use for next time.

I also made a batch with chia seeds - I do not recommend this, it made the texture of the finished product very gritty & sandy.