Oatmeal

cafeduus
cafeduus Posts: 31 Member
Does anyone have a good substitution for cooked oatmeal? I know that oatmeal
comes in many different flavors, but I can't stand eating it, and would like another
alternative.

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Have you tried overnight oatmeal in your fridge? Mix equal parts oatmeal, yogurt, and milk. (I add a little less milk so it is not as liquidy.) You can add whatever you want in the morning - peanut butter, honey, jam, etc.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Is it a texture issue you have or flavor issue? Are you eating it plain? Because, yeah no, that's just gross.

I cook mine with just water and add a few shakes of salt, then some days I add cut up apple while cooking so it softens along with splenda brown sugar (1tsp) and apple pie spice (1tsp) - some days I add the salt, splenda brown sugar and cut up banana both are delish. You can also add dark chocolate chips, nuts, mixed dried berries....

There is no reason why you should eat oatmeal if you hate it. There are other great breakfasts that offer protein and fiber to keep you from being hungry for a long time.
    I eat:
    - crust-less mini quiche
    - omelets w/turkey sausage or Canadian bacon and veggies w/a bit of cheddar cheese
    - breakfast sandwiches made w/Arnold flat bread or Josephs Lavash bread cut in half w/ egg, cheese and bacon or Canadian bacon
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I'm confused. If you hate it why do you need a substitute?

If you want a hot cereal, I like Cream of Wheat. I've also recently re-discovered Grape Nuts served hot with a little butter.

Also I offer another vote for refrigerator oatmeal.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    If you don't like oatmeal then don't eat oatmeal. However, Quaker makes an "alternative" that is Warm and Crunchy Granola. I like the Apple Cinnamon. You use a 1/4 cup of milk, almond milk, or soy milk, whatever you prefer, and heat it for 30 seconds. I don't think it's like oatmeal at all.
  • apj79
    apj79 Posts: 23 Member
    I like oatmeal - if it is the texture you can add more water/milk to make it creamer. I also add blueberries sometimes and cut up apples.
    If you don't like it that much then maybel look at something else. Oatmeal is an easy fix for a weekeday breakfast but there are other options too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Have you tried overnight oatmeal in your fridge? Mix equal parts oatmeal, yogurt, and milk. (I add a little less milk so it is not as liquidy.) You can add whatever you want in the morning - peanut butter, honey, jam, etc.
    Love overnight oats! And I've found I like it better with a heartier cereal, like Trader Joe's Multi-Grain oatmeal - it's less "gooey".

But yeah, if you find you still dislike it, don't eat it! Find something else - Malt-O-Meal, Cream of Wheat, etc.
  • OnU2nite
    OnU2nite Posts: 23 Member
    Don't cook it. Put it in a protein shake and drink up. Well... you'll need to chew a little bit. I do 2 scoops banana nut protein, 2 cups almond milk, and 1 cup dry rolled oats. It tastes like a muffin shake. If you don't drink it right away it gets thick like pudding but is just as good.