Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Question about eating back calories or not

2»

Replies

• gclauson
    gclauson Posts: 26 Member
    Great Post. I consider my exercise calories as "Extra Credit" and "Beer Calories" (I love beer so...) As you said though, the calories MFP tells you are going to cause you to lose that weight alone, the exercise is bonus.
  • gclauson
    gclauson Posts: 26 Member
    Don't eat back more than 50% and your weight will tell you if that is working.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I work out in the mornings, about 9am. MFP puts me at 500 calorie deficit at 1670 calories a day. So then when I work out, it puts me even lower..but I thought that could just work towards 2lb weight loss a week? It's just annoying and frustrating when I don't lose anything in a week when I stay under and exercise and gets me thinking maybe I'm not eating enough and I'm messing everything up. Why can't calories in calories out work and that's that lol.
    If my calories burned from MFP are overestimated..then maybe my net isn't that low and I'm fine??

Losing weight too quickly will result in fat + muscle loss. Look up the term skinny-fat. Sometimes people are not happy with the end result of weight loss....the scale looks good, but they don't.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I see a dietitian once a month and she told me to eat anywhere from 1600-1900 when I exercise and 1700 when I don't and to not worry about my exercising calories I burn, to not even count them. But then when I read things other people say or do it makes me wonder if I'm wrong and everyone else has a secret that I'm missing.

That is TDEE method...and with that method you don't log exercise calories or eat them back. That is what you are missing.

You can log your exercise but change your calories to 1 burned if you want to keep track.

But you don't have your diary set for 1800 calories...it is set for 1200..and you are netting way below 1200...
    As you said though, the calories MFP tells you are going to cause you to lose that weight alone, the exercise is bonus.

That's right a bonus..but you need to net at least 1200 a day or you are doing yourself damage and not fueling your workout next time.
  • breakyoface
    breakyoface Posts: 160 Member
    But you don't have your diary set for 1800 calories...it is set for 1200..and you are netting way below 1200...

Mine is set for 1620, not 1200