strength training

Options
So when I do my strength training, usually 5 sets of 10 reps, I can feel my muscles working and they'd usually fatigued by the time im done with each muscle group and the last set is generally challenging.... I did my chest, back and shoulders last night and fully expected to be sore this morning.... but im really not....is this a good thing or am I just not working hard enough and need to up my weights??

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    DOMS is not always an indicator of a great workout, for example, you might create lactic acid at a faster rate in your lower body than in your upper.

But if you want to exhaust, try heavier weights or higher reps/drop sets
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am very rarely what you would call "sore"...definately no DOMS...

A day after I have lifted usually 5x5 I am aware I worked those muscles but nothing serious.

I wouldn't worry about it but I would ask why 10 reps? if you are strength training I believe the rep range is 5-8 while increasing the weights each workout. Do you increase the weights?
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    When I started SL 5x5 I had bad DOMS for the first week but this is due to me only taking up exercise after over a decade of not doing any! After that it's all good, I can ache somewhat as I'm still getting used to it but no pain as such.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If I push it HARD (my hard is hard) I will be a bit stiff the next day and probably gain weight from glycogen (?) /water retention. I am NOT achy and sore to the point where I don't want to work out again. I stopped doing that quite awhile ago. It's not necessary and I think it leads to sports injury myself , ie...your body will auto compensate to avoid pain possibly throwing you off your form. That's a guess tho.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am very rarely what you would call "sore"...definately no DOMS...

A day after I have lifted usually 5x5 I am aware I worked those muscles but nothing serious.

I wouldn't worry about it but I would ask why 10 reps? if you are strength training I believe the rep range is 5-8 while increasing the weights each workout. Do you increase the weights?

At this point im trying to build up to getting back into my body pump class, I figured 5 sets of 10 was a decent starting point and I am planning on progressively upping me weights as it gets easier
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've found personally that how sore I am the next day has more to how high I kept my heartrate more than how intense my workout is.

In otherwords if I do a workout where I lift and take long rests between sets where I fully recover I tend to be sore the next day (I think I let my muscles cramp up a bit with a long rest). However if I do the same workout but lower my rest time so my heart keeps pumping at an elevated rate I find that I am not sore the next day.

I'm not sure if high heart rate = increased bloodflow = less soreness or if its just coincidence. Just something I've noticed though.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I second those that say increase your weights and lower your reps. I do the starting strength 3x5 workout and it's solid. Deadlifts you only do one set of 5 (after warm-ups) and it's exhausting. If you're looking to get the most from your strength work outs, you should be failing or close to failing around the 5th rep. If you're not, the weights are too light (provided you're still holding proper form).
  • Fit4MeAlways
    Options
    Following...