Healthier Banana Bread / Banana Muffins

CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
A healthier alternative to traditional banana bread or banana muffins. Moist, healthy, and delicious.

Serves 12

INGREDIENTS:
1 3/4 Cups flour (or rice flour, for a gluten free version)
6 Tablespoons Splenda Sugar Blend (I know Stevia is healthier, but I think it tastes nasty)
1 Jar baby food applesauce (just over 1/2 Cup)
2 over-ripe mashed bananas (they should be pretty mushy)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ground flax seed
1 teaspoon double acting baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
8 crushed almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, flax seed, baking powder, salt, spices and stir.

In a separate bowl, combine bananas, eggs, baking soda, vanilla, almond milk, applesauce. Mix well.

Pour wet mix into bowl with dry mix. Stir with a wooden spoon until well blended.

Spray bread pan or muffin pan with canola oil spray (takes only a few seconds and adds a negligible amount of fat). Spoon mixture into muffin pan or pour into bread pan. Sprinkle crushed almonds on top.

Bake for 20-25 minutes for muffins or 45-55 minutes for bread (until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean).

Nutrition facts for the regular version (gluten free is similar but not identical):
Calories: 147
Carbs: 27
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Potassium: 100 mg
Sodium: 210 mg

Replies

• Tracy9377
    Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
    My Boyfriend, kids, and I LOVE banana bread. I have tried so many "low-cal" "low Sugar" recipes, and many of them stink. The last one was so bad, the kids won't even touch it. This one looks good ... I'll try it out ... thanks for posting it.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    reads yummy. thanks.
  • CoryIda
    This one is delicious (my family couldn't tell the difference between it and the regular version, which has 9 grams of fat per serving) - I didn't use whole wheat flour because it makes it too heavy, but the other substitutions make up for that, I think - especially with the added flaxseed.

Also, the regular banana bread will be a normal batter but the gluten free version is more like a wet dough - just in case you think something is wrong, it's not - that is just how it works! My Celiac friend loves this stuff.

Oh, it is also dairy free - I'm allergic to milk products. :)
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Sounds so good. Thanks for sharing.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    bump for later!
  • THANKS!!! THIS LOOKS SCRUMPTIOUS:love:!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!:flowerforyou:
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Had to bump this - Banana Bread is my favorite!
  • CoryIda
    I wanted to provide the nutritional info if you make it gluten free (substitute all purpose flour with white rice flour):
    Calories: 168
    Carbs: 32
    Fat: 2 grams
    Protein: 3 grams
    Fiber: 2 grams
    Potassium: 80 mg
    Sodium: 210 mg
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    **drooling**.....must BUMP! :)

Thanks for sharing!
  • CoryIda
    I just posted a healthy blueberry muffin recipe and mentioned this recipe - some people have expressed an interest in trying it, so I am bumping this.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    BUMP....these sound so good can't wait to try them out!
  • Jenn97355
    Jenn97355 Posts: 103 Member
    Ooooooo....YUM!!!:bigsmile: I "mess" with recipes ALL the time, always coming up with better, healthier versions of the original!! (comes from loving to cook, and growing up with 6 cooks in the family!) This recipe sounds great...I will have to try...Not very often something likes this(low cal/sugar) catches my eye!!! GREAT JOB!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Cannot wait til the morning!:smile:
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    keeper
  • Tracy9377
    Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
    I made this recipe the other day, and the loaf is practically gone. We loved it! I actually used grape nuts on top instead of almonds (I was out of almonds). I'll try the almonds next time, but the grape nuts were great. I substituted part of the flour for grape nuts too - it gives a great texture, and more fiber. Not everyone likes the texture, but my family does.
    Thanks again!!
  • Dreamgirl97
    Dreamgirl97 Posts: 106 Member
    YUM! I love banana bread and I am so excited to try this. I have been looking for something I can make to have with coffee in the morning. Thank you for posting.
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    oooooo i can't wait to try this recipe!
    I looooove banana bread=]
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    IMAG0014-1.jpg

Made these tonight and they were great! Def can't tell there is anything "healthy" about them. I didn't tell anyone in my family that the were so lets see if they notice. I used a 50/50 mix of wheat and white flour and also used a stevia sugar blend instead of splenda and they still turned out great! Thanks for the recipe!
  • CoryIda
    Made these tonight and they were great! Def can't tell there is anything "healthy" about them. I didn't tell anyone in my family that the were so lets see if they notice. I used a 50/50 mix of wheat and white flour and also used a stevia sugar blend instead of splenda and they still turned out great! Thanks for the recipe!

They look amazing! So glad they turned out well!
This discussion has been closed.