Low to No-sugar Lunchbox snacks

Options
Tryxxie2013
Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
Although I will be using the suggestions for myself (as I'm always looking for new, healthy snacks for my lunch), this is mostly for my daughter.

My little girl is 4-years-old, in pre-kindergarten...and terribly energetic! Now, I know all kids have loads of energy, running and screaming and all of that (my 10-year-old proved that), but my daughter is above this. She is literally the Energizer Bunny, even at school. This is quite taxing on her teachers and her agenda is filled to the brim with comments on how she can't sit still for even a moment to concentrate long enough to do her school work.

So, we are cutting refined sugar out of her diet. She'll still be allowed treats every now and then, but I am determined to keep her away from such things as Dunkaroos, Gushers, and all of those other horrible things they have for lunches.

If anyone has any ideas/recipes of stuff that I can put in her lunch, it would be fantastic as I'm coming up with a blank.

WARNING: NO NUTS!!!

Thanks all,

Tryxx :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TriMom1976
    TriMom1976 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My kids are 8 and 10. Just tried "Skinny Pop" popcorn in the individual bags. I think they are good option for lunch snacks. We have made carrot muffins (similar to banana bread), just less sugar and add cinnamon. I'm sure you already do cheese sticks...cutie oranges. Those are my first thoughts. I'll post again if think of more. Good Luck!
  • Tryxxie2013
    Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Thanks hun! Anyone else?

She's not really picky, so that's good.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    That is hard - especially because the other kids have that stuff and she is going to want it (trading happens).

It's not just the snacks you have to worry about either - careful of 'juice' boxes and such = they are just sugar water unless you get 100% juice - and that is still high in sugars.

Pretzels
    popcorn
    make your own trail mix (maybe she can help mix cereal, raisins, etc. up)
    carrots
    Cheese and crackers
    Yogurt
    find lower sugar snacks that may not quite be totally sugar free - those can help her feel not left out - Nilla wafers and animal crackers are better than Oreos or Dunaroos. (maybe like once a week or something)

My mom also had this issue with my brother - she not only cut out the sugar - but some preservative (I can't remember what it was) and that helped.

Good luck
  • cgj071479
    Options
    my 6 year old loves cheese sticks, and cheese slices of any kind. he'll eat pretty much whatever we have in the fridge, swiss, colby, cheddar, havarti etc. He loves Cheese!!!! He loves yogurt (yoplait key lime light is his favorite) and cottage cheese. He also loves Pistachios, Almonds, trail mix and gold fish crackers. He's not terribly picky either and I'm glad for that. he snacks on pretty much the same things we do so it works out nice. Don't get me wrong...he also loves fruit snacks and candy but all things in moderation right???? :) Fresh fruit and veggies are good although some of them are a little high in sugar. Anyway, good luck with trakcing down some lower sugar snacks.

Oh...and for your lunch, what about tuna packets. At our store they have different flavor (ranch, smoked, sweet and spicy etc.) and they are between 80-110 calories. Also, laughing cow cheese is yummy!! :)