How do I..

MzBug
MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I have a jar of honey with (well had) honey comb in it. My boyfriend kinda squished the comb and now the honey has all the itty bitty pieces of wax in it. How can I separate the wax from the honey?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Hmm, I really don't see how that is possible. I'd just buy new honey.
  • I would strain it with a small strainer into another jar.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    You can strain it through any kind of mesh strainer. Or you can use wet cheesecloth, (you can get this at any grocery store). Wetting the cheese cloth first should keep any cotton fibers from getting in the honey.
    Good luck!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    I agree with straining though mesh - that should be small enough to let the honey thru & the waxy pieces will stay in the strainer.

Let us know!
  • MzBug
    You think a piece of panty hose would do it? Maybe stretch it over the top of the jar and rubber band it down, then tip the jar into another jar and let it drain?

It is wild honey taken from an old tree stump in the middle of my brothers strawberry fields, so I would rather not throw it out.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    panty hose or mesh. you might be able to comb it out, too.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    It is wild honey taken from an old tree stump in the middle of my brothers strawberry fields, so I would rather not throw it out.

immediately jealous.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Panty hose would totally do it!

wild honey = liquid gold!
  • MzBug
    It is good stuff! I swear you can taste strawberry when you eat it. He got a total of 14 quarts and 3 pint jars of clean honey comb out of the stump, the rest had wood shavings and other gunk in it. He sent me one of the pints. We planned on using it at the holidays for the homemade rolls, but had to see if we could get the wax out.

On facebook one of my friends suggested putting the jar in a hot water bath and melting the wax, making the wax rise to the surface of the honey, then letting it cool and harden, then taking the wax off....

Any other suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.