type 2 diabetes - food

My mother has type 2. She can not keep weight on. Yesterday she found out she has kidney failure. (hard one to swallow). The doctor is putting her on lots of meds and she has to really watch what she eats.

She has not seen the nutritionist yet but will once she can get it. Unfortunately it takes over a month. I am unfamiliar with what she should be eating/not eating. Levels of sugars/carbs/sodium so on. Does any one have any good info?

She has had diabetes for a few years but had a AWFUL doctor. She has been having lots of issues and kept going and he blew it off as side effects from diabetes. I finally convinced her to switch and within 1 week she has confirmed kidney failure. My mom lives 5 hours away by herself so I am trying to do what I can to make sure she takes care of her. I am going to make her a account on her to log everything so she can show this to her new doctor. But ideas on food? She doesnt cook alot since it is just her. And I dont think I can change that. So what would be good breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks for her that she can buy? She read no wheat bread but white bread is ok? Sorry if I am rambling this hit yesterday and I am really confused about alot.

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    I'm glad you're advocating for her and making sure she sees a good doctor and nutritionist. Given her level of disease, it's really unfortunate that she can't be seen sooner. I don't have any first hand advice, but I would suggest you call her new doctor and ask if they have at least a leaflet or something that you can review with that information, or call up the nutritionist and see if they have something like that you can reference until she's seen. If she's on several meds and has kidney failure, it's extremely important that she's eating the right things right away (I know you know that), and what's "right" for her may not even be what's "right" for the typical Type 2 diabetic, but hopefully your doctor/nutritionist can point you in the right direction on that. Also, you can check out the website for the American Diabetes Association, they have some tips there.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    In general, she will probably want to limit high GI carbs: so white bread is not good; whole grain bread is better (though not too much). Some fruits will be out. No sweet tea, fruit juices or sodas. She'll want to eat lots of fresh veggies, a small serving of protein at each meal, and some fat. Due to the kidney issues, she may need to be careful she doesn't get too much protein.

Does she have (and use) a blood glucose monitor? The Dr should have prescribed her one, if not you can get them + test strips pretty cheaply on Amazon. [For me, that works out only slightly more than if I get them through my insurance anyway.] She should keep a log of what she ate, and test 2 h after the first bite.

Most advice out there seems to be to keep carb levels low to moderate, and spread them out over the day. I find 3 regular meals plus snacks (protein, fat and lowish carbs) in between works.

Exercise really helps too. Even just a 15 min walk every day, or whatever she can manage.

If she is overweight, losing weight helps also.

This site has lots of info on diabetes: http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

But really, she needs to see that nutritionist! The kidney thing throws a wrench in the whole diabetes thing, and people on the internet will not be able to give you specific advice for her. Good luck!
  • Nathalia2009
    Nathalia2009 Posts: 75 Member
    TY ....I think she does have one as her doc (NEW one) said she needs to be in contact with her every week to give her all her levels. Ty for all the advice
    In general, she will probably want to limit high GI carbs: so white bread is not good; whole grain bread is better (though not too much). Some fruits will be out. No sweet tea, fruit juices or sodas. She'll want to eat lots of fresh veggies, a small serving of protein at each meal, and some fat. Due to the kidney issues, she may need to be careful she doesn't get too much protein.

Does she have (and use) a blood glucose monitor? The Dr should have prescribed her one, if not you can get them + test strips pretty cheaply on Amazon. [For me, that works out only slightly more than if I get them through my insurance anyway.] She should keep a log of what she ate, and test 2 h after the first bite.

Most advice out there seems to be to keep carb levels low to moderate, and spread them out over the day. I find 3 regular meals plus snacks (protein, fat and lowish carbs) in between works.

Exercise really helps too. Even just a 15 min walk every day, or whatever she can manage.

If she is overweight, losing weight helps also.

This site has lots of info on diabetes: http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

But really, she needs to see that nutritionist! The kidney thing throws a wrench in the whole diabetes thing, and people on the internet will not be able to give you specific advice for her. Good luck!