Exercise regime suggestions?

Options
_L_A_
_L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
Hi everyone, first post here.

A year and a half ago I started at 172lbs (5'7") and went down to 147lbs in 6 months through exercise (gym sessions and running). I then had a bit of a horrible time of things and some extreme stress and didn't have the energy to keep up with the gym and with keeping an eye on my diet. Unfortunately I crept back up to 170lbs after Christmas 2013! I am now back down to 157lbs but the inches are coming off at a different rate to last time (slower!). I tried my wedding dress on last at my lowest size/weight, I have my official, final fitting on the 5th July (8 weeks time). So I want to get as many inches off as possible! I'm aiming to lose 1 lb a week, but I want to notice a good difference in my size.

I've seen lots of good results on here with Insanity and other "extreme" short-term regimes. I'd love to try something like this (although I'd like to still go to the gym so as not to waste my membership, and do some running as well as I love doing it). My problem is that I have chronic knee pain, it's ok to run on but squats and lunges will mess them up and they'll be in pain for days (if the joint goes to less than 90 degrees it's highly likely they'll have very sharp pain on straightening or they'll give way completely, it does happen at greater angles than that too :( ). I don't know enough about any of these fitness DVDs to know whether I won't be able to do much as a result of lots of lunges/squats being involved so I don't want to invest in them!

In summary (or if TLDR!): any recommendations for Insanity or other similar exercise regimes designed for inch loss that do not have a reliance on squats/lunges?

Replies

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I think most of the intense dvds have squats and what not but not too sure as I have never seen them I too have bad knees and I have a crap shoulder so I am limited and have just been going to the gym and using the elliptical, treadmill and the resistance machines. I did pick up some lifting books from the library too so i can do some free weights. I did do Jilliam Michaels 30 Day Shred and that wasn't too bad on my knees it's my shoulder that gave me the problem. I had also used I think it was called The Firm Wave Step with the dvd and that did work with losing inches and in a short time. It got lost in my move or I would be doing that, it was pretty good.
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think most of the intense dvds have squats and what not but not too sure as I have never seen them I too have bad knees and I have a crap shoulder so I am limited and have just been going to the gym and using the elliptical, treadmill and the resistance machines. I did pick up some lifting books from the library too so i can do some free weights. I did do Jilliam Michaels 30 Day Shred and that wasn't too bad on my knees it's my shoulder that gave me the problem. I had also used I think it was called The Firm Wave Step with the dvd and that did work with losing inches and in a short time. It got lost in my move or I would be doing that, it was pretty good.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look at those two :D it sucks having painful knees! I've been to exercise classes in the past and tried to go through the pain and either end up falling or having to stop early from the pain (I once sat on the side and just cried because I had kept going throughout the pain for ages and couldn't bend my knees!) I've learnt at classes to jog on the spot during lunges and squats but feel that if I did that in a DVD with a lot of them I'd end up only doing that!

Good idea about the library, I just find it hard to do intense or long work outs with weights at the gym because I have to go at busy times and everyone is wanting to use them!