So, my hard boiled eggs are actually soft boiled...now what?

Options
Aeramis13
Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
I'm what you call culinarily challenged. To make hard boiled eggs, I literally looked up a recipe. And I followed it, but must have messed up somewhere along the way. I made the eggs and then tossed them in the fridge to eat the next day, so I didn't even know til then that they weren't really done. They're not raw or anything, but definitely too soft to make a standard egg salad, etc. The entire outer covering of egg comes off with the shells, which is a bummer cuz then I get less egg.

Is there a way to cook them further without drying them out/ruining them? They're still tasty to eat by themselves, but it's just not the same. Thought some of you kitchen wiz folks might have a good idea or two. Thanks for any help :)

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Crack the shell... 20 seconds in the microwave.

Should take care of it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    crack the top of them so the shell becomes a bowl, and scoop out with a spoon. My dad used to make softboiled eggs for me all the time. Get some toast too! next time you boil eggs, fill the pot so it just covers the eggs, turn the stove on max and immediately set your timer for 20 minutes. Once the timer goes off, drain the eggs and fill with cold water. Do that twice, and your eggs will be awesome.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Soft boiled eggs are awesome. Especially if you own the soft boiled egg holder things. But I doubt they'd keep. The others seem to have suggestions. Me, I'd just eat every last one of them in a single sitting :ohwell: But then again that's why I'm here...
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I love making soft boiled eggs, I dip tortilla into them. However, I wouldn't want to eat one after it's been sitting in the fridge all night.

Hope you can do something with it. For hard-boiled eggs, you really have to figure out what works for your own stove. The "recipe" times are always going to be different for different appliances. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to do. Good luck boiling.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    To boil them without getting those blue rings bring the water to boil first and then add the eggs, cover with a lid, and turn off the heat. In 15 minutes they will be perfectly done. BUT... I think if your eggs are old that blue ring may be inevitable.

I had to look up that recipe too. I think I learned that from Rachel Ray or someone like that.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    To boil them without getting those blue rings bring the water to boil first and then add the eggs, cover with a lid, and turn off the heat. In 15 minutes they will be perfectly done. BUT... I think if your eggs are old that blue ring may be inevitable.

I had to look up that recipe too. I think I learned that from Rachel Ray or someone like that.

From the Joy of Cooking Cookbook, where I learned to boil eggs.

If your eggs are at room temperature add them to the boiling water, however if you take them out of the fridge then add the eggs to the water when you turn on the hear. Follow the above recipe.

The blue rings has something to do with protein breakdown.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    also add some vinegar to the boiling water, they'll peel easier.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I should add that my advice about microwaving is only to fix your current batch of semi-cooked eggs. Do NOT try and make hard-boiled eggs in the microwave under normal circumstances. It will not work out well for you.

I'm not saying it's not fun. If you time them right, they won't explode until you drop them in cold water. This is REALLY fun to do. I wasted a whole dozen eggs doing that. I did end up with some splatter burns on my arms and face, plus a bunch of dried yolk on the ceiling. So, overall, it wasn't a good idea.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I should add that my advice about microwaving is only to fix your current batch of semi-cooked eggs. Do NOT try and make hard-boiled eggs in the microwave under normal circumstances. It will not work out well for you.

I'm not saying it's not fun. If you time them right, they won't explode until you drop them in cold water. This is REALLY fun to do. I wasted a whole dozen eggs doing that. I did end up with some splatter burns on my arms and face, plus a bunch of dried yolk on the ceiling. So, overall, it wasn't a good idea.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I bake them now, honestly. 30 minutes at 325 degrees, then in a bowl of iced water for 10 minutes. Easier than having to time the water boiling and how long they are in the water and all that stuff...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Soft boiled eggs > Hard boiled eggs....