Bathroom Scale Accuracy

Options
My Father in Law brought the weighing scales from their home over so I could weigh myself. The maximum weight on them is 120kg, but I am positive I weight more than that.
What I want to know is if they go past the maximum weight are they still accurate or will they just not go any further at a certain point?

Replies

• asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i'm afraid that will depend on hte specific weighing scale that you are using

they won't all behave the same
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Is it a digital scale or the kind with an arm that points to your weight? If it's digital, most of those flash an ERR code if your weight exceeds the scales limit. If it's the old fashioned kind, it just tops out at the max range.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If they're digital you'll probably get an error message if your over their limit, step on and find out! You might just get a nice surprise! :flowerforyou:
  • Schmiznurf
    Options
    Is it a digital scale or the kind with an arm that points to your weight? If it's digital, most of those flash an ERR code if your weight exceeds the scales limit. If it's the old fashioned kind, it just tops out at the max range.
    It's an old fashioned one, it went past the max and to 11/12 so i'm not sure if that means i'm 131/2 or not.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If it's the old fashioned kind and it went past the max, it means you weigh something past the max, who knows how much. Digital scales are $25-30 online.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    yeah, just best to buy a new scale.
    I prefer the digital ones.....makes it easier to read and gives you partial pounds.

One thing you have to remember with digital scales though is the temperature of the room/floor.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/

Check out that link about mid way down. I have noticed that first hand a few weeks ago, on two different weeks, that a cold room/floor can alter the digital scale. I knew I had done evertying right for the week and was scheduled for a 2 lb loss but the scale showed basically nothing. The bathroom and floor were cold as I dont heat it at night. 30 minutes later after I turned the heat on I saw what I was expecting on the scale.