Overeating At Night

Options
I have a lot of trouble sleeping at night and so I end up overeating.. Probably from boredom? It was fine before because I exercised a ton so it didn't matter what I ate but I've started exercising less(1 to 1 and 1/2hrs a day w/ 1-2 rest days in the wk) so I'm worried I'm going to start gaining.

(Please don't say just don't eat because obviously if I had the will power I wouldn't be posting here)

If anyone else struggles w/ this and found a solution I'd really appreciate any tips!

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sipping on some water or tea at night?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I like to save calories for night. I don't know why, but I feel panicky if I don't have calories to spend at night. I can shovel in a cup of puffed wheat (dry, of course) at 60 calories, with a tall glass of Crystal Light. Or make popcorn (with a smidge of oil and enough butter to make it worthwhile). I've also discovered chocolate Cheerios - they're so good, and 100 calories for 3/4 cup dry. Obviously I like crunchy things I can eat mindlessly/repetitively. Not a great habit, but it works for me.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I've tried drinking water but so far it hasn't helped.

I use to have popcorn but I did that to death so I'm sick of it lol

I found lollipops that are only 35cal for 3 but I'm sure I'll end up getting sick of those. I'm not sure how to fix the problem. I don't think I eat because I'm hungry though
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    How about exercising a little more and earning some snacking calories?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I've tried drinking water but so far it hasn't helped.

I use to have popcorn but I did that to death so I'm sick of it lol

I found lollipops that are only 35cal for 3 but I'm sure I'll end up getting sick of those. I'm not sure how to fix the problem. I don't think I eat because I'm hungry though

Ants on a log! The peanut butter will fill you up, and help if you have some extra calories. :)
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Find a good TV show/movie and watch! Keep yourself busy. Chew on gum maybe or brush your teeth. Eat an apple or celery and cottage cheese. Lol Those are crunchy!

Do you just like chewing or you're actually really hungry?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Why do you have a hard time sleeping? I would focus on trying to fix that problem, it is a horrible feeling to not sleep well. If this gets better, you wont worry about the snacking! Good luck!
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    May I suggest Clash of Clans!!!!

I have seen my kids playing this for ages and I was bored in a hotel room last week and decided to try it. Now I am sucked in. Before I no it I have to get ready for bed and the evening flew by without any snacking.
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just don't understand.. What is 'training a tone' for you? Because 1-1.5 hours 5-6x a week sounds like a ton to me!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Why do you have a hard time sleeping? I would focus on trying to fix that problem, it is a horrible feeling to not sleep well. If this gets better, you wont worry about the snacking! Good luck!

I was thinking the same thing. Not to mention that inadequate sleep can potentially lead to other health issues. I would look at addressing sleep problems, regardless of whether you solve the eating at night issue. :flowerforyou:
  • melissajane83
    melissajane83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i always eat pickles at night. That's my nightly snack before bed. I know they are high in sodium but omg i love them :)
  • Ken_Roper
    Ken_Roper Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the right answer for you because I have trouble resisting nibbling in the evening. Hunger doesn't seem to play a role. I think I eat because it is comforting. I have found, though, if I stay busy (cleaning house, doing yard work, etc.) I am much less likely to make a trip to the kitchen. Plus I sleep better because I'm tired.
    Hope you find a solution. We're all pulling for you!
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This is so me, I track and eat well all day, and stay up weeknights till 12-1 am, weekends later. The best advice I have is if you know you can't stop snacking at night eat less during the day to allow yourself snacks. Also don't buy really bad snacks that you will eat a lot of try and find lower calorie snacks that won't kill your caloric intake. I like Skinny Pop popcorn, veggie straws, popsicles, pickles. All lower calories than stiff like chips. Good luck!
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I'll try some of those snacking suggestions and see if they help!

I do save calories for nighttime but I am still worried since calories can add up quickly. I was exercising like 3-4hrs everyday then finally cut back to 2 and now I'm finally at a more reasonable amount of 1- 1 & 1/2 w/ rest days... That's a huge calorie reduction so that's my big worry.

I have sleep issues because of ptsd.. I've tried different sleep meds but none have really helped yet. Wish I could fix my sleep issue because that would solve my problem.

I play games and try to watch tv but I still end up eating
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes, they last forever
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I eat in the middle of the night all the time. I usually log it on the next day. These days I keep a small protein bar bedside and when I wake up eat that and drink some water. It is usually enough to get me back to sleep and doesn't disrupt my intake for the next day so much that it causes me hunger.
  • rodddd
    rodddd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How about exercising a little more and earning some snacking calories?

^^^
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I usually use ice cream sandwiches, but any pre-portioned ice cream will work. It's cold so you can't eat too much too quick, and ONE IS ONE, no guesswork. You don't even have to get the "diet" ones. A regular ol' Ice cream sandwich from Kroger is only about 20 calories more than the Skinny Cow ones.