For anyone afraid to go to the gym...........

Options
Realize that NO ONE there is going to judge you or laugh at you....why? Because they are too busy looking at themselves in the mirrors or looking at their Iphones/ Ipads to even notice you! Think about it, in this age of self serving, narcissistic people who have the attention span of a few minutes, do you really think you are such a special snowflake that people will pay any attention to you whatsoever??? Look around at the gym and you will find everyone doing their own thing. You could probably walk into the gym naked and it would take you not wiping down the machines before anyone would notice you at all. Seriously, dont let the fear get the best of you.........just go in there and start doing it, after about a week, all they will notice of you is "oh, they must be a regular now." That is, if there is no exciting celebrity news to read on their phones.............

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    True story.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    They will notice you, once they see your changes though ;) Funny you post this, cause this happened yesterday. The gym attendant made some small talk with me that he noticed me toning up, asked me what I have been doing, etc......told him about MFP, etc....and he congradulated me on the change.

But yea, this ain't high school anymore.....for the most part if you walk in with head phones in, nobody will bother you. I know at my gym, the older guys try and chit chat and give each other advice......I just say thx but no thx......
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hey, I will notice you in your in the squat rac... hey, look a mirror. *flexes and starves at self*
  • watermillion
    watermillion Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    why would people be staring ?
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    ...until you do something really dumb and someone snaps a photo or video and you become an internet gif.

/Not really afraid, but not a good space for an introvert like me who doesn't like the loud horrible music, press of bodies, and nine different TV stations on at the same time overhead. There needs to be a chain of "quiet space" gyms.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    HEYYYYYY.....I AM a special snowflake :)
    lol
  • bunnerfly
    bunnerfly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Actually, there have been several instances where I have seen buttholes judging people at the gym. Generally those people have their own hang ups and feel the need to elevate themselves because of insecurity. For the most part, no one cares about who is near them as long as they aren't being obnoxious and making loud, grunting OHYEAHLOOKIT! IM RIPPED AND LIFTING HEAVY STUFF! Or dropping their weights.

I don't like gyms. I don't like being around a bunch of people when I'm working out. I tend to go in the early mornings when there are very few people there. It's not that I am certain everyone is staring, and I wouldn't be adverse to blatantly, and creepily, staring back until they stop if they were, i just prefer quiet.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That sounds nice, but isn't entirely true. I take it you haven't seen the threads people start here on MFP to talk about what they saw people doing in the gym. Two that come to mind right now are one poster complaining about a woman eating a muffin and walking slowly on the treadmill, and another poster ranting about how people who are dressed "cute" and have makeup on at the gym aren't working out hard enough. I've seen more than that, though.

Thanks for trying to make folks feel brave enough to go to the gym!
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Same with people afraid to run outside. I'm a fattie who runs outside and I've never seen anybody looking at me. Even if they do, I'm not going to let the opinions of people I'll never meet get in the way of my weight loss. Screw them.
  • amejia79
    amejia79 Posts: 8
    Options
    If someone is brave enough to step foot in a gym and put in the effort to attempt to change their body, kudos to them! The only time I'll judge someone is when that person is too proud to ask for help, clearly has no idea what they are doing on a particular machine/ equipment and is in the process of hurting themselves through bad form. If you're new to a gym or not familiar with certain exercises just ask someone, most people are kind enough to share the knowledge and assist you.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    That sounds nice, but isn't entirely true. I take it you haven't seen the threads people start here on MFP to talk about what they saw people doing in the gym. Two that come to mind right now are one poster complaining about a woman eating a muffin and walking slowly on the treadmill, and another poster ranting about how people who are dressed "cute" and have makeup on at the gym aren't working out hard enough. I've seen more than that, though.

+1
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Realize that NO ONE there is going to judge you or laugh at you....why? Because they are too busy looking at themselves in the mirrors or looking at their Iphones/ Ipads to even notice you! Think about it, in this age of self serving, narcissistic people who have the attention span of a few minutes, do you really think you are such a special snowflake that people will pay any attention to you whatsoever??? Look around at the gym and you will find everyone doing their own thing. You could probably walk into the gym naked and it would take you not wiping down the machines before anyone would notice you at all. Seriously, dont let the fear get the best of you.........just go in there and start doing it, after about a week, all they will notice of you is "oh, they must be a regular now." That is, if there is no exciting celebrity news to read on their phones.............

Hey I notice everyone in the gym if they get in the way of me looking at myself in the Mirro.........Ohhh Hey look at that Hugh Jackman is in that new movie coming out......Ohh wait what where we talking about? My phone just updated.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Most people arent there to judge anyone. They simply want to work out..and most people tune the rest of us out.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't people watch while I'm there. Just like at the beach or public swimming pool. People come in all shapes and sizes and I find it interesting.

Also, to be honest, I watch the women more so than guys. The only guys I watch are ones that are bigger than me..as I'm trying to gleam some insights on what their routine is.

I applaud anyone that is trying to better themselves.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

+1

+2

The thing is you shouldn't care what people think or say, just go in and focus on the reason you are there.
  • midwestspitfire
    midwestspitfire Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well now I'm afraid to go to the gym because I'm scared I'll be judged for checking Twitter...
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hey, I will notice you in your in the squat rac... hey, look a mirror. *flexes and starves at self*

Thanks now I have ginger ale that came out my nose for laughing so hard!!!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Aaaand thanks for undoing all of that. Thumbsup.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes, we all people watch at the gym, lets face it, doing an hour on an elliptical, you NEED something to do besides watch yourself sweat, but for the people that think that when they walk into a gym, everyone (and their brother) is going to be looking at them, pointing and whispering, laughing at them, questioning their workout clothes AND thinking that they are bad parents for not being at home with their kids.......well, its just not gonna happen. They need to realize that everyone is into doing their own thing at the gym and for the most part could care less what they are doing.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I genuinely pay no attention whatsoever to people in my gym. World's fattest woman could probably pay my gym a visit, I'd glimse then go back to my zone. :bigsmile: Once I'm in the zone heckkkk I'm in the zone :bigsmile:
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

to go along with this I have to agree bc ive done it myself...
    not to defend me being a jerk but I have thought to myself in the past

"what is this woman doing?! sitting on the bike on her phone barely moving... now shes walking slowly on the treadmill... now shes barely moving on the elliptical... now shes sitting on the weights on her phone... why is she here.. im here sweating my butt off my face is bright red im dying but im working out now she is sitting in the waiting area on her phone... wth"