Fiber!

aem91409
aem91409 Posts: 137 Member
I am only 21 years old and have extremely high cholesterol. When I found this out I had a BMI of 30 [obese], and in the past 3 months or so I have gotten it down to 27.8 which I know is still overweight but I'm proud of my success so far.
I have been told that reaching my fiber goal on here will both help with my cholesterol and with my weight loss.
Is this true? If so, what foods will get me more fiber?

Replies

• Grammanut
    Grammanut Posts: 37 Member
    Probably easier to go to the link directly................I just started adding rasberries to my salads :-)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948

Chart of high-fiber foods
    By Mayo Clinic Staff

Looking to add more fiber to your diet? Fiber — along with adequate fluid intake — moves quickly and relatively easily through your digestive tract and helps it function properly. A high-fiber diet may also help reduce the risk of obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

Here's a look at the fiber content of some common foods. Read nutrition labels to find out exactly how much fiber is in your favorite foods. Women should try to eat at least 21 to 25 grams of fiber a day, while men should aim for 30 to 38 grams a day.
    Fruits Serving size Total fiber (grams)*
    Raspberries 1 cup 8.0
    Pear, with skin 1 medium 5.5
    Apple, with skin 1 medium 4.4
    Banana 1 medium 3.1
    Orange 1 medium 3.1
    Strawberries (halves) 1 cup 3.0
    Figs, dried 2 medium 1.6
    Raisins 1 ounce (60 raisins) 1.0
    Grains, cereal & pasta Serving size Total fiber (grams)*
    Spaghetti, whole-wheat, cooked 1 cup 6.3
    Barley, pearled, cooked 1 cup 6.0
    Bran flakes 3/4 cup 5.3
    Oat bran muffin 1 medium 5.2
    Oatmeal, instant, cooked 1 cup 4.0
    Popcorn, air-popped 3 cups 3.5
    Brown rice, cooked 1 cup 3.5
    Bread, rye 1 slice 1.9
    Bread, whole-wheat or multigrain 1 slice 1.9
    Legumes, nuts and seeds Serving size Total fiber (grams)*
    Split peas, cooked 1 cup 16.3
    Lentils, cooked 1 cup 15.6
    Black beans, cooked 1 cup 15.0
    Lima beans, cooked 1 cup 13.2
    Baked beans, vegetarian, canned, cooked 1 cup 10.4
    Sunflower seed kernels 1/4 cup 3.9
    Almonds 1 ounce (23 nuts) 3.5
    Pistachio nuts 1 ounce (49 nuts) 2.9
    Pecans 1 ounce (19 halves) 2.7
    Vegetables Serving size Total fiber (grams)*
    Artichoke, cooked 1 medium 10.3
    Green peas, cooked 1 cup 8.8
    Broccoli, boiled 1 cup 5.1
    Turnip greens, boiled 1 cup 5.0
    Brussels sprouts, cooked 1 cup 4.1
    Sweet corn, cooked 1 cup 4.0
    Potato, with skin, baked 1 small 3.0
    Tomato paste 1/4 cup 2.7
    Carrot, raw 1 medium 1.7

*Fiber content can vary between brands.

Source: USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, 2012
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I am only 21 years old and have extremely high cholesterol. When I found this out I had a BMI of 30 [obese], and in the past 3 months or so I have gotten it down to 27.8 which I know is still overweight but I'm proud of my success so far.
    I have been told that reaching my fiber goal on here will both help with my cholesterol and with my weight loss.

Don't try to increase your fiber all at once. This could get really uncomfortable. Read the Mayo post (above). There is soluble & insoluble fiber. Each has a different function.

Oatmeal is soluble fiber. This is the type of fiber that is said to help lower cholesterol.

To keep things moving.....water intake, fat intake, and movement (exercise) all help.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Soluble fiber binds to dietary cholesterol and excretes it so it can absolutely help lower your cholesterol. Tons of foods have soluble fiber including fruits and vegetables. You can also get a soluble fiber supplement like Benefiber or Optifiber from costco
  • aem91409
    aem91409 Posts: 137 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    My favorite easy way to get fiber is low carb/high fiber tortillas. Most have around 12g of fiber and between 80-100 calories per tortilla.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member

I take Barn Dad's Ultra Fiber DX every day and sometimes twice a day for cholesterol and weight control. It comes in a German Chocolate formula and tastes great. Fiber helps in a lot of ways including the above mentioned as well as controlling your blood sugar and that will help with fat loss.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    I know people usually hate the supplement route- but in addition to all of the fiber-filled foods listed above, you can also add little bits of fiber supplement into your day (whole foods are ALWAYS better- but it's damn hard to get enough fiber in your day with those alone and the usual person's day to day)

In addition to all the other sources, I do like Benefiber. It's all soluble fiber- so I don't use it exclusively (I like some insoluble fiber too, such as that from fruits/chia,etc.)- but it should be exactly what you're looking for to lower your cholesterol.

They now make a benefiber (or it may just be CVS brand "easy fiber") that is a non-dairy coffee creamer and can be added to your morning beverage. I always used the plain stuff because I drink my coffee black- but now there are options for those who like a little something in there.

I also love mixing chia seeds with a liquid to make a drink (I totally recommend Silk Soy Milk in their awesome flavors like Pumpkin Spice/Egg Nog--they were seasonal so IDK which ones are around now, but you get the drift). The seeds absorb all the liquid, plump up, and fill with whatever flavor the drink is. You can do it with tea, flavored waters, plain water- as long as it's non-carbonated. They're FULL of fiber, omegas, and they're downright yummy. I also sprinkle them on yogurt or pudding for a little boost.

They can be expensive, but if you stock up when they're on sale- it's very affordable (I refuse to pay more than $4 for a bag and can always find a good brand in my price range--they last a LONG time)

Good luck to you! I'm a total fiber nut and it has absolutely helped me to control my weight, blood sugar, and hunger pangs. Awesome cholesterol is just another great side effect! :D

I hope to hear some good news from you soon!